I am seeking advice for archery hunting in January. I am new to bow hunting and would like to take my 9 yr old son and older son hunting this month to learn how to stalk. However, I don't know what unit and where to focus my attention.  I have never been hunting in January. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Gonna be hard to stalk with kids, I'd suggest a blind over water. 

Where do you live?

• Like 2

CatfishKev - Agreed. My son is almost ten with a 14 yr old's composure. He wants to learn and I know i can keep him quiet. I reside in Yuma.

From what i gather, Cibola lake north of Martinez lake might be fruitful. Or east of the small town of Cibola, I know there is game in there. Ive seen huge Big horned sheep and donkeys, Its thick brush but also a good watering hole.

Edge- Yessir, I look at it every day.

PRDATR- I agree. I think the rut is a good time for the youth to learn about hunting. Its the mostly lively time in nature lol.

• Like 1

One beneficial thing about getting out this time of year to learn stalking is deciduous trees are bare so more opportunity to see game. Frost on the ground in the morning will show tracks better too. No snakes, it's cooler so you won't sweat/smell as much and you can drink less water.

In the desert there is always something to see to peak their interest, lots of teaching moments. I would put the emphasis on tracking and stalking, minding the wind direction.

• Like 1

The bucks are moving about. Blend in, put yourself in their path and practice being still and using the wind.

Get some knee pads and prepare to craw. The boy will learn the definition of patients real fast. Great bobbing time on the hill.

I took all three of my children with me on almost every hunt for 10 years.  It was fun for all of us.  You'll have many years to hunt alone, and it will happen soon. 

My favorite hunt was a elk hunt.  we were hiding and calling in a group of small pines.  A nice bull was coming in.  at about 50 yards my boys started making Vroom Vroom sounds. I looked down and they were racing pine cones. 

Since you're new, you will still learn a lot with the kids hunting with you.

• Like 3