cannonball

Can you enter draw at 9?

5 minutes ago, azbow said:

I put my grandson in for elk when he was 9 and would be 10 in August. He didn’t draw and also didn’t get a pt. I was told they aren’t eligible for pts until their 10th Bday. 

They screwed you over. Both my kids have summer birthdays and both got points that year when applying at 9 years old almost 10.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:09 AM, MogollonMan said:

This place has gotten as bad as FB with guys sharing wrong, bad, and even dangerous information. 😒

And whats dangerous about a group of guys getting the facts straight. Never been on that Facebook crap. So can't compare. Proceeds good chaps..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wildwoody said:

And whats dangerous about a group of guys getting the facts straight. Never been on that Facebook crap. So can't compare. Proceeds good chaps..

I gotta say that I sorta agree with MogollonMan on this.  Internet chat groups can be a great place to banter and share experiences and info, but I personally would never make a borderline decision or go with the interpretations of anonymous dudes on the internet.    I would always go directly to the source/AZGFD.  (I know, I know....  Folks call there and get varying stories too.  lol)

2024-Pronghorn-and-Elk-Hunt-Draw-Information_240105.pdf (amazonaws.com)    Reference to age restrictions and info can be found on page 6 and 8.   Seems pretty straight forward:  Need to be 10 years old to hunt big game (page 6) and 10 years old by application deadline to apply for a bonus point (page 7).   I would recommend someone contact G&F to get any clarity. ;) 

Regarding never being on Facebook, it's basically the same thing here but under a separate wrapper.  Internet chatting & banter....  It's all "social media". lol

Good luck to ALL kids in the upcoming draw! 

13 minutes ago, stanley said:

I gotta say that I sorta agree with MogollonMan on this.  Internet chat groups can be a great place to banter and share experiences and info, but I personally would never make a borderline decision or go with the interpretations of anonymous dudes on the internet.    I would always go directly to the source/AZGFD.  (I know, I know....  Folks call there and get varying stories too.  lol)

2024-Pronghorn-and-Elk-Hunt-Draw-Information_240105.pdf (amazonaws.com)    Reference to age restrictions and info can be found on page 6 and 8.   Seems pretty straight forward:  Need to be 10 years old to hunt big game (page 6) and 10 years old by application deadline to apply for a bonus point (page 7).   I would recommend someone contact G&F to get any clarity. ;) 

Regarding never being on Facebook, it's basically the same thing here but under a separate wrapper.  Internet chatting & banter....  It's all "social media". lol

Good luck to ALL kids in the upcoming draw! 

Mogollon man said this place gotten as bad as Facebook. That’s on me. I haven’t been running people off enough. Now we’ve been infiltrated 

• Haha 2

Got a quick few question's as well guys. Daughter is 10 and just finishing up her online classes. She will not get a field day in before draw but pretty sure i can apply her for elk and antelope hunts? But main question is can i pick her up a youth over the counter turkey tag without her having field day and hunt spring turkey otc?

54 minutes ago, couesdeerhntr said:

Got a quick few question's as well guys. Daughter is 10 and just finishing up her online classes. She will not get a field day in before draw but pretty sure i can apply her for elk and antelope hunts? But main question is can i pick her up a youth over the counter turkey tag without her having field day and hunt spring turkey otc?

Yes

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, couesdeerhntr said:

Yes, she can apply for elk/antelope.

From page 6 of the regulations (link posted above):  "No one under the age of 14 may hunt big game without having completed a Hunter Education Course. No one under age 10 may hunt big game in Arizona. To hunt big game, anyone 10 to 13 years of age must have in their possession a valid combination hunt and fish license, a valid Hunter Education Course completion card, plus any required permit-tags or nonpermit-tags."

According the the wording, she cannot hunt big game without a course completion card.  I'm assuming she would not get that until the field day is complete.  (You can 'pick-up' an OTC tag, but she can't legally hunt without the course completion...)

Good luck to her!!!!  NOTHING beats hunting with your kids!!!!

S