Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

Tools for off-roading / repairs - what do you carry

I have a magnet deal I hide that has a spare truck key for my truck and my wife's truck. 2 actually for both vehicles just in case keys get lost.  The dogs sometimes lock us out by pushing the buttons on the door.  

4 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I need to find a proper jack to carry on my rzr. Ideas?

I carry a small bottle jack in my Rhino. Rocks are usually plentiful if you need more height.

16 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I carry a small bottle jack in my Rhino. Rocks are usually plentiful if you need more height.

A bottle jack and a piece of 2x4 sounds like a pretty good idea. 

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

A bottle jack and a piece of 2x4 sounds like a pretty good idea. 

That's what I carry

3 hours ago, arizonian said:

For some reason I always have a digital volt-ohm meter packed along side my tools.

An axe and shovel is always in the back. Chainsaw and gas if you're camping.

Bill I remember you pulling a voltage meter out of your truck to fix my trailer lights. We were at Leroy's. Do you remember that? Good times for sure.

there are so many things we carry and we forget we have them  I have trauma kits in both rigs within easy reach, but out of sight out of mind.  I have been making up some kits to have charging cables for phones, flashlights, GPS etc.. and including a power bank to charge if needed.  Problem with all the cords, not all makers are on USB C, so your stuck with variety of cords for devices. 

I put all these into the magpul daka pouches, so far have 3 done, keep 2 in cars, 1 for traveling.  My travel setup has either a leatherman wave + or if needing slim down, put in a Gerber Dime or Leatherman Squirt S4.  Even at work I kept a few MRE's, trauma kit in case needed.

Fire Extringuisher. Two large cans of tire flat fix, replace them every other year. Two Spares. A Craftsman Tool KIt that fits behind the rear seat. It has all teh common SAE and Metric stuff. A Bottle Jack. A 20' tow strap. A spare Camshaft Sensor. Some  wrenches and screwdrivers. Some snacks, few bottles of water and a blanket. Tire air pump.

Buy new tires every 30K. Buy the best batteries every 5 years and only buy AGM's. Spare serpentine belt. Change oil every year, usually 3-5K. Recondition the air filter every 2K or 6 months. Drive the same truck since new back in February of 2000, 322K. 

Pop the hood and look around at stuff every week or so, with the engine running and off. Change the fluids as needed.

• Like 4