zslayer

Hunters Safety Field Day?

1 hour ago, Couzer said:

Yes you are correct on the bonus point, but what I was trying to say if you want your kid to hunt, if you take the requirements for CA, AZGF has given the approval for them to hunt. 

But yes to get the bonus point you would need the AZ online and AZ feild completion. Lots of people in Az have done the online but can not get in the feild class. 

Sorry, I misunderstood.  Yes, you are correct.  Several states' Hunter Ed certifications, including CA's are valid in AZ due to the IHEA reciprocity.  Sorry if I caused any confusion.

1 hour ago, IA Born said:

Sorry, I misunderstood.  Yes, you are correct.  Several states' Hunter Ed certifications, including CA's are valid in AZ due to the IHEA reciprocity.  Sorry if I caused any confusion.

So is it good for the point then?

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

So is it good for the point then?

No, taking HE through another state is not good for a point in AZ.  Couzer and I were saying the exact same thing, just worded differently and I misunderstood one aspect of what he was saying.  You can take another state's HE course online with no field day and meet the needs of AZ through IHEA reciprocity among most of the states; however, you will not get an AZ bonus point.  You have to take HE (online or in person) in AZ to get the AZ bonus point.

Clear as mud?

• Thanks 2

I was under the impression that by law kids under a certain age (14) or so had to be seen shooting live rounds and safe gun handling in order to receive a hunters safety certificate?

19 hours ago, IA Born said:

More and more people are figuring this out, especially for their kids so their kids can hunt.  CA, NM, and TX all offer an online course with no field day and it meets the IHEA reciprocity.  Unfortunately, it doesn't get anyone the AZ bonus point, so if parents want that for their kids, they still need to take the online course or classroom course in AZ.  We're getting ramped to hopefully offer one online field day per month up here in Flagstaff starting in March.  I'm looking forward to meeting zslayer and his daughter there.

I was responding for the post referencing out of state needs, not as the way to get an AZ point.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, pirogue said:

I was responding for the post referencing out of state needs, not as the way to get an AZ point.

I totally over looked your previous post, good stuff in your comments.

1 hour ago, zslayer said:

I was under the impression that by law kids under a certain age (14) or so had to be seen shooting live rounds and safe gun handling in order to receive a hunters safety certificate?

Its not a law anywhere I've been made aware of, but it is, in fact, a requirement (policy) of AGFD Hunter Ed program.

1 hour ago, pirogue said:

All good.  Sorry if I caused more confusion.

39 minutes ago, Couzer said:

I totally over looked your previous post, good stuff in your comments.

I figure we're all in this together trying to make sure everyone has the right information.  Coffee is on me next time you're in Flagstaff!

• Thanks 1

All good, I just heard about it. It's been tough to get kids in the field day class.

• Like 1

It has been for sure.  Holler if you need help getting a kid in a field day

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:25 PM, IA Born said:

Very true.  The Ethically Hunting AZ program gets them the AZ bonus point, but does not meet out of state requirements.

So .... I'm thinking outside the box here... not sure if this has been done or can be done. What if a youth hunter gets their hunters ed done online, in the let's say the California online class and Azgfd says, yes they can hunt legally now in AZ.  Then they take the ethically hunting az program course. Does that get them the az bonus point .... or can is this something they can not do as a youth? Sorry I know i'm playing semantics but logically it sounds like it could work and help a lot of people out. Does that make sense ? Not sure if you can answer that or have one yet, thoughts ?

6 hours ago, HyNoon said:

So .... I'm thinking outside the box here... not sure if this has been done or can be done. What if a youth hunter gets their hunters ed done online, in the let's say the California online class and Azgfd says, yes they can hunt legally now in AZ.  Then they take the ethically hunting az program course. Does that get them the az bonus point .... or can is this something they can not do as a youth? Sorry I know i'm playing semantics but logically it sounds like it could work and help a lot of people out. Does that make sense ? Not sure if you can answer that or have one yet, thoughts ?

The online portion isn't the problem. Kids can take the az online course any day they please. The ethically hunting az class is just another online type hunter safety that is specifically made for adults so taking both wouldn't really accomplish much. 

The problem lies in the thousands of kids that have taken the online portion and then there being 50 field day spots that year. (And half of those spots seems to be in weird places like Gallup NM or something crazy)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coues247 said:

The online portion isn't the problem. Kids can take the az online course any day they please. The ethically hunting az class is just another online type hunter safety that is specifically made for adults so taking both wouldn't really accomplish much. 

The problem lies in the thousands of kids that have taken the online portion and then there being 50 field day spots that year. (And half of those spots seems to be in weird places like Gallup NM or something crazy)

247 is correct,  the ethics course is for adults only.  You could have your kid take another states test and get certified but would not be able to take the AZ ethics course and receive their bonus point till they are 18.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coues247 said:

Yes I totally understand that. Sorry I didn't ad that part about the field day. But that's more along the lines of what I am asking... if they do an out of state H.E. , that does not require a field day, therefore a loop hole to skip the field day in az and then get a point with the ethically hunter safety. Sorry I was falling asleep last night while type and it made sense in my head.

4 minutes ago, zslayer said:

247 is correct,  the ethics course is for adults only.  You could have your kid take another states test and get certified but would not be able to take the AZ ethics course and receive their bonus point till they are 18.

We were typing at the same time .. ok I didn't know it was for 18 and up ... thank you

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zslayer said:

FYI, they only let the kids use BB guns during the youth Hunter Ed online field day class.