Curtis Reed

Application Strategy… Mistake?

I’ll start off by saying I’m grateful and excited to have drawn an early archery bull tag in 5bs!  I can’t wait…..  but I think I made a mistake on my application strategy.

So, I had 10 pts, and when looking at the odds before any possible point creep I was 50/50 chance at both 5bs and 5bn early archery. I put 5bs as my #1 pick and 5bn as #2.

I drew 5bs tag #31.

I could be wrong, but i’m pretty sure tag #31 was the first tag issued after the bonus pass (200 tags).  So I drew that tag in the random 1/2 pass. It got me thinking that I kinda screwed up on my strategy and should have put a primo trophy hunt as #1 and then either 5bs or 5bn as my #2.

For all I know, I could have had the first pick of the 1/2 random pass and could have snagged a top tier early hunt in a trophy unit.  If not, I still would have drawn one of the 5b tags.  

Am I correct in second guessing my app strategy?  If I drew tag #30 I wouldn’t be thinking about the ‘what if’.

7 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

Agreed, and to solve your mistake I recommend giving your tag to me. 

Problem solved. 

IMG_9102.gif

• Like 1

My son has 4 bps for elk.  Last year unit 22 youth cow had a bonus pass of 3 bps and unit 23 had a bonus pass of 4 bps.   I put him in for 22 1st choice and 23 second choice (no reason for the second choice as I was sure he would draw 22 in the bonus pass).  Draw results were posted and my son drew second choice unit 23 tag #17. I’m in a similar boat, trying to figure out what happened and what to do in the future 

Curtis, Bonus pass is 20% so would be tag 1-40. Looks like you drew in the bonus pass. 

Elk hunter, im still puzzled by 23 over 22. If the 23 hunt had been 100 tags that’s the bonus pass again. The only way it’s making sense would be if 20 people  put in for the 22 hunt with 4+ bonus points this year. I’m curious to see the bonus point report. 

Good luck to both of you guys either way. Both are great tags 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eli said:

Curtis, Bonus pass is 20% so would be tag 1-40. Looks like you drew in the bonus pass. 

Yeah that may be…. I think though the first 30 are resident and 10 to non res for 40 total?  If I understand it correctly, 10% go to non res (5% bonus pass and 5% random)?  If you look at 2023, there were also 200 tags and only 30 went to residents in bonus pass. 

My understanding is it’s a 10% non resident cap, but not a quota. Could be less but can’t be more. I think it goes by straight point total, stopping at the cap if they reach it, so the non-res tags would be interspersed. Non res may have something like tags 1, 4, 11 and 23 depending on BP amount. I’m just glad it’s so easy to figure out, yikes

• Like 5

Let me know if you need any possible additional hunting spots. Goodluck

You drew in the bonus pass. 40 tags are in the bonus. Up to 10% could be non-res. It doesn't mean 10% have to be non-res. 

For me choice 1 is always a long shot. Choice 2 is what I actually want, assuming I don't have enough points to draw either tag in the bonus pass. 

The problem with that though is if Choice 1 is above your point level, but Choice 2 you have enough bonus points for, you will always draw Choice 2. For a chance to hit a long shot for Choice 1, both choices need to be outside of the bonus pass 1-2 points. 

If either tag in Choice 1 or 2 is a guaranteed draw you will always draw that tag. 

This year I had 4 points. Choice 1 was approx a 13 point draw. Choice 2 was approx 5-6 points. We drew the 2nd choice in the lottery draw.

If you draw in the lottery draw after the bonus, when your app gets pulled they look at Choice 1. If Choice 1 has tags left, you get them. If not they look at choice 2. If you they have choice 2 tags left you get them. If not they put you back in the 3-5 draw which basically means you won't get a tag unless choice 3-5 has a really easy to draw option like a limited opportunity type tag.

• Like 5

Hoss, I forgot that aspect of the bonus pass that they go by point total, nice explanation. Thanks

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

You drew in the bonus pass. 40 tags are in the bonus. Up to 10% could be non-res. It doesn't mean 10% have to be non-res. 

For me choice 1 is always a long shot. Choice 2 is what I actually want, assuming I don't have enough points to draw either tag in the bonus pass. 

The problem with that though is if Choice 1 is above your point level, but Choice 2 you have enough bonus points for, you will always draw Choice 2. For a chance to hit a long shot for Choice 1, both choices need to be outside of the bonus pass 1-2 points. 

If either tag in Choice 1 or 2 is a guaranteed draw you will always draw that tag. 

This year I had 4 points. Choice 1 was approx a 13 point draw. Choice 2 was approx 5-6 points. We drew the 2nd choice in the lottery draw.

If you draw in the lottery draw after the bonus, when your app gets pulled they look at Choice 1. If Choice 1 has tags left, you get them. If not they look at choice 2. If you they have choice 2 tags left you get them. If not they put you back in the 3-5 draw which basically means you won't get a tag unless choice 3-5 has a really easy to draw option like a limited opportunity type tag.

Last year, same unit, same # of tags and only 30 went to residents in bonus pass  I’m assuming this year was the same  

IMG_9105.jpeg

1 minute ago, Curtis Reed said:

Last year, same unit, same # of tags and only 30 went to residents in bonus pass

Last year then 10 non-res drew in the bonus. Last year was also the year after one of the best winters ever and anyone with points probably cashed them in. 

If there were 200 tags the first 40 should have been bonus point tags regardless of res/non-res status. Only 10 can go non-res, max. 

• Like 1

Non-Residents almost always get their allotted 5% of tags for early archery and premium gun/muzzy hunts.  NR's typically have substantially more points than residents in the 20% pool plus g&F likes their $.  If you look in the stats, they do very well in the random draw too to get their remaining 5% allotment.  Happy Hunting

• Like 2