scoutm

What tricks have you learned from other in camp?

This year we had the pleasure of having a few new hunters added to our traditional hunting camp which proved to be very educational. The new hunters in our camp introduced us to a few new things or ways of do things.

Two of my favorites were:

1.) BlackDog came up with a really great solution for the keeping the eye piece lens covers securely attached to Swaro 15s.

What he did was take small bungee cord about 8-10" long maybe 3/16 of an inch in diameter, cut it in half, pushed the cut end through the holes on the sides of the lens cap built up the cut end with super glue and fishing line so the bungees couldn't side back through and then crimped the small medal hocks at the finished ends of the bungees around the slots on the side of the binoculars. When you pull the bungees tight they provide enough tension to keep the caps securely on the eye peices. Pull the caps off and back down the bungees and they hang nicely out of the way but not so loose that the wind blows them around. I recently set mine up this way and it works great. The only change I made was to how I built up the ends of the bungees so they couldn't slide back though. I built them up with Plasti-Dip - its a liquid plastic you dip tool handles in give them a rubber coating. It worked great.

2.) The second was courtesy of Cramerhunts a quick and easy breakfast that got us out of our normal and more recently boring breakfast. It was really simple - toasted bagels using a skillet with cream cheese and jam. It was quick, easy and filling.

There were more but these were my favorites. One for it's effectiveness and two for its ease.

What tricks and solutions have you learned in hunting camp?

Can you post pictures of the bungie strapsof the protective caps. This is always been an issue with me.

Thanks

Terry

• Like 1

A couple things:

1.) Gotta have a propane distribution tree: lantern, stove, and a heater all off one 5 gallon tank... Set it up next to a small folding table. Can't beat it.

2.) Use ratchet tie down straps as guy lines for overhead tarps (you can put the hooks through the grommets, and loop them on trees or whatever and get them so tight the tarp thumps like a drum. Never tie another knot.

3.) Tyson's Green Chile Stew:

One quart can green enchilada sauce

1/2 bag frozen hashbrowns (can be thawed)

1 onion

1 large can green chile

1/2 lb Queso

1 lb ground meat (beef or what not -- I use boca-soy crumbles -- its cooked, keeps for longer in a cooler and don't taste half bad with everything else mixed in).

1 dozen Tortillas

Feeds 3-4.

Besides cutting up the onion everything else is just open and pour into a big pot and let it get hot, quick, simple, tasty.

them ain't tricks. fart lightin', firecrackers in the fire, pi$$in' in the fire, black camo makeup on bino eyecups, hollerin' "BEAR"!! in the middle o' the night, now them are tricks. Lark.

arent you worried the smell of boca-soy wafting through the air might attract unwanted guests... like hippies or worse, vegans?

arent you worried the smell of boca-soy wafting through the air might attract unwanted guests... like hippies or worse, vegans?

LMAO!!! I was thinkin the same thing.... :lol: ... well... :rolleyes: .... almost the same thing!!!! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Baiting is still legal right?

Touche, Mr. Wulkotte. Good point.

Touche, Mr. Wulkotte. Good point.

Ya but who wants to attract a smelly, dread lock wearin', no shavin', naturalist hippy into camp!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If am gunna attract something I want to bust out with a can Axe spray and get it all over me and my camp!!! You see those commercials??? That is the kinda critters I want to attract to my camp!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Tyson, you can keep your Soy-Chilie Burros!!!! :rolleyes: I want MEAT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok, what the heck is boca soy? is silent but deadly a vegitarian? you know what vegitarian means in redneck? crappy hunter. Lark.

One thing I learned from an old hunting buddy years ago was to put a small pile of coals from the fire under your chair on a chilly night while sitting around the campfire. Keeps you from having to get up and warm your back up every few minutes... just make sure your chair ain't plastic ;). Insanely nice on those cold cold nights

A couple things:

1.) Gotta have a propane distribution tree: lantern, stove, and a heater all off one 5 gallon tank... Set it up next to a small folding table. Can't beat it.

2.) Use ratchet tie down straps as guy lines for overhead tarps (you can put the hooks through the grommets, and loop them on trees or whatever and get them so tight the tarp thumps like a drum. Never tie another knot.

3.) Tyson's Green Chile Stew:

One quart can green enchilada sauce

1/2 bag frozen hashbrowns (can be thawed)

1 onion

1 large can green chile

1/2 lb Queso

1 lb ground meat (beef or what not -- I use boca-soy crumbles -- its cooked, keeps for longer in a cooler and don't taste half bad with everything else mixed in).

1 dozen Tortillas

Feeds 3-4.

Besides cutting up the onion everything else is just open and pour into a big pot and let it get hot, quick, simple, tasty.

Now we know how you got your name.

Eating that crap would make anyone's guts turn to

a boiling mess of unbearable gases.

GIVE ME MEAT ;)

One thing I was shown that I really like is using a pumpup weed sprayer for doing dishes, washing off meat or general clean-up. A gallon of water goes along way with one of those.

Another is Easy Cheese and Wheat Thins. The canned cheese won't get crushed in your backpack and it lasts forever. The Wheat Thin boxes do a pretty good job of keeping your crackers in one piece.

I also carry totes in my truck, one is tools and misc. hardware. The other is food, cooking stuff, laterns, all the little stuff you have a tendency to forget unless you make a list everytime.

I pretty much just load up my totes, grab a couple of sleeping bags, pillows, guns, backpack and optics. Pickup a couple 8 packs of gatorade (blue) and a case of arrowhead 16.9 Oz waters and a couple bags of ice. I usually grab food from the pantry and some critters from previous hunts from the freezer.

I hunt alot and I pretty much have most of my trips down to a 1/2 hour of prep time before I go, most of my packing is in the morning before I leave. The totes are a great way to have all the little things together in one place. Take Care, JLG.

Thats more like chummin :blink: