scoutm

What tricks have you learned from other in camp?

For your meat cooler freeze a case of drinking water bottles, 16 oz, that way your meat isn't soaking in water from ice. A 120 qt cooler will hold a cow elk, have to bone out a bull. Also don't open your meat cooler until you have something to put in it, ice stays longer that way.

I pack a boning knife and 4 to 6 pillow cases, send the wife to yard sales to get them, and do the gutless method on game. I put a qtr in each pillow case and use one for backstrap & tl's and one for neck, rib, brisket meat. King size cases are necessary for bull elk, you can get by with 4 for deer. I'll take care of the animal, hang the meat in the shade and head to camp for the pack frame. When you are done you can either wash them up or chuck them and send the wife out yard saleing again.

JLG forgot to mention you can use the weed sprayer for a shower, just add hot water. A friend of mine bought a 2 gal stainless steel one and put on a longer hose - it works great for showers. He just sticks it on the burner to heat up the water.

I also use hand sanitizer on my feet, arm pits and other stinky spots, then clean up with a diaper wipe. Also have diaper wipes in my pack to clean up after taking care of game or the #1 reason - no monkey butt in the field. A sweat rash 5 miles from the truck is no fun....... :blink:

I learned this by a happy accident, and not from someone else, but the best thing I've found to use for washing my hands after gutting an animal is a can of cola or 7-up. It's a lot better than water, although it can leave your hands sticky if the soda pop has sugar in it. The carbonation actually boils the blood out from under your fingernails.

And, to hang a javelina up for gutting or just to get the carcass off the ground, simply open its mouth and let it "bite" a small limb. It will hang there by its teeth. Don't let it hang too long or else you might have to saw or break off the limb after rigor mortis sets in.

Bill Quimby

picked up how 2 cook in a dutch oven

dig a hole about 5 or 6 in deeper than ur oven is tall, make 2 fire useing hard wood, 1 in the pit and 1 right next to it, once u got 2 good piles of coals put oven in cover with coals then dirt (leave the handle up for eas of findein and remooving) and when u get back from ur after noon hunt diner is ready

my favorite is roast, brown ur roast over the fire with a lil oil and sesonings, add onions potatoes clove garlic green chile (prettymutch any vegies) fill with watter till its about an inch over the roast throw in the pit cover and let cook between 2 1/2-4hrs (depending on coals and size of roast) put in befor the after noon hunt and it'll warm pretty any time u happen 2 get back that night :D

SCRAMBLED EGGS IN A BAG. PUT YOUR EGG YOKES IN A ZIP LOCK BAGGIE AND PUT INTO BOILING WATER FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES AND YOU GOT SCRAMBLED EGGS, ADD SOME FRANKIES HOT SAUCE AND A TORTILLA AND YOU ARE READY TO GO

I use the cheap plastic shower caps from hotels for a rain shield for my binos.They work great and dont weigh anything.

• Like 1

And, to hang a javelina up for gutting or just to get the carcass off the ground, simply open its mouth and let it "bite" a small limb. It will hang there by its teeth. Don't let it hang too long or else you might have to saw or break off the limb after rigor mortis sets in.

Bill Quimby

REALLY??? :o Cooool

Put your clothes for the next day in your sleeping bag with you for the night...that way you're not dreading cold/damp feeling shirts and jeans in the morning. They'll be nice and warm!

-Jeremy-

I do that! Or at least I put them in an hour or so before I get out of the sleeping bag. I usually enjoy some coffee while still in my sleeping bag and let the clothes warm up then...much, much nicer!

I do a meal called Mexican surprise. I take 4 to 5 lbs of pork. I do the cheeper cuts when they go on

sale for 99 cents a pound or marked down. Put it in the crock pot with Greek seasonings and a little water.

Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low. Remove and remove any fat or bone. Shred and add on jar of picante

and a pack of Mexican cheese. Seal in vacume bag. In camp when ready to use boil a big pot of water

put in bag and let boil for 45 minutes. Ready to eat wrap in tortilla add raw onion and more cheese

if wanted or hot sauce. The name says it all its a surprise how great it taste.

Enjoy Clean hit

I do a meal called Mexican surprise. I take 4 to 5 lbs of pork. I do the cheeper cuts when they go on

sale for 99 cents a pound or marked down. Put it in the crock pot with Greek seasonings and a little water.

Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low. Remove and remove any fat or bone. Shred and add on jar of picante

and a pack of Mexican cheese. Seal in vacume bag. In camp when ready to use boil a big pot of water

put in bag and let boil for 45 minutes. Ready to eat wrap in tortilla add raw onion and more cheese

if wanted or hot sauce. The name says it all its a surprise how great it taste.

Enjoy Clean hit

Surprize

This makes a great meal!

When out in the field, I always place cooler w/ ice in shade and wrap an old cotton canvas, blanket or big towel soaked in water to cover cooler. I've learned this trick from Grand Canyon river guides that gotta keep ice for weeks in 90-100+ degree temps. Also keep from opening the cooler to a minimum.

Rubbing bar soap on old ratty tent zippers to keep from seperating the zip.

Storing sliced bread in metal AMMO cans. Six loaves fit nicely in the "rocket"box. Works great for Beer too!

And.....always carry Duct tape and heavy duty zip ties.

And.....always carry Duct tape and heavy duty zip ties.

Last year at country thunder I blew out my shock hoop on my truck. Seems that full size trucks don't jump train tracks too well. :rolleyes:

I had to ziptie them (the BIG ones, 1/2" wide) in order to keep the hoop somewhat upright to get me from Florence back to Chandler, then to Mesa and finnally to Phoenix where I fixed it. I was surprised to find that none of the eight or nine I put on there broke or slipped. :lol:

I like to try to plan our meals out so that the one icechest for the last few days isn't opened until the day it's needed, I'll also run a couple strips of duct tape around the seal to make sure nothing gets in or out.

We bought one of the propane water heater shower from Wal Mart for around $100... man that thing gets water hot and it takes about a gallon of water per shower but it is well worth it. A heck of a lot cheaper and easier than scrambling into town every few days or taking baby wipe showers... actually makes you feel clean (oh and gets the scents off of you, not that it's important right?).