Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

I need some good radios

Hi All,

I am in need of some good radios to use while hunting to keep in touch with hunting partners. Any suggestions welcome. I had good luck with some old motorola cheapies, but then I upgraded to a better pair and they were so bad I returned them.

Amanda

I have an older pair of Cobras. They are very clear and don't trasmit that weird, end-of-signal "bleep" that motoralas do. Also, you can set the call to a vibrate mode which is great for hunting.

Check these guys out Durham Communications, they have good stuff! But it's kind of like buying a good pair of binos, will have to pay a little more.

Fortunate to have these guys locally in Arizona, in north Mesa by the 202 and higley I believe.

http://www.dcicomm.com/

Goodoleboy

Amanda I have 6 of the original Motorola Talkabouts.

I think they were the best they made.

I may be willing to part with a pair if interested.

Amanda,

I can honestly tell you that CHEAP is better!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I have spent up to $200+ on one radio and found that it worked no better than the cheapo's.... The best radio I have found lately and is the only one I personally will buy is the 5w Midland radios that you can get at SW, Cabelas, and probably BP..... I was in Saint George, UT.... and were short a radio.... I went to the SW up there and walked out the door with 2 radios, and 2 good earbuds for like $70! :blink: They work as good as any other radio I have had.... And then when someone loses one for you..... and they will.... you are not out a couple Benjamin's to replace it!! <_< My last expensive radio is laying under a lot of snow right now.... lost last fall by one of my packers while packing out a bull.... I make sure everyone has a radio for the pack out incase we separate... if some gets hurt or lost that radio is a lifeline if you don't have cell service! ;)

The Federal Government is unloading a ton of old analog Bendix King UHF and VHF radios.... You can find them on Ebay or internet sellers. I'm not totally sure about the legality of using them since you've got to have a FCC approved frequency. However with a full 'clamshell' of 9 AA batteries you can talk to people up to 15 miles away on a line of sight... Only other problem is they weigh like 2lbs a piece...

Personally I'd go with the cheapies, nothing like listening to the airwaves on a Motorola during elk season....

T

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Gamehauler, I may take you up on that.

Please keep the suggestions coming. If you have a radio that works great, let me know what kind you are using.

Amanda

Here is the best communication device I could find that does not have........... how can I put this simple........press one for english. :rolleyes:

post-2094-1235070701.jpg

let me know if you would like me to pick them up for you Amanda. ;) They only cost.....$19.95 and if you purchase them today for a limited time offer we will throw in a free Mega Phone.

post-2094-1235071015.jpg

The mega phone can reach up to 2 miles!! That is a $49.95 value for only $19.95 PLUS FREE SHIPPIMG so hurry and get yours today. :D

Check Costco. Couple months ago I bought a set of 3 of the current model of the Motorola walk-abouts and they have done much better than some of the older Motorola models that I have. They also came with ear buds and a stand for recharging them for around $80. Well worth it.

Check Costco. Couple months ago I bought a set of 3 of the current model of the Motorola walk-abouts and they have done much better than some of the older Motorola models that I have. They also came with ear buds and a stand for recharging them for around $80. Well worth it.

Those sound like the ones I bought and had to return because they were so bad. I must have gotten a lemon pair.

Amanda

Amanda, I also have a pair of the old motorola talk-a-bout radios and so far they have been alright but big and heavy to carry around compared to the new ones. I'm still not completely satisfied with them. I use them while traveling and on most of my hunts and they work as long as you aren't in a valley or behind a mountain. I paid $200 a piece for them and they are not worth that IMO. My friend has a pair of midlands, under $100, and they work about the same and about 1/4th of the cost. I would be happy to lone you my motorola talk-a-bouts so you could compare them with another pair of radios of your choice before you spend your money.

With the crappies starting to bite, I will be traveling thru Globe and will be more than happy to drop the radios off to you. Just let me know if you would like to try them out. :)

TJ