Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

My first lion!

me and my dad were helping my friend to get a javelina, his dad and mom are divorced and his dad lives in payson so my dad is basically his. we are like brothers, well we were glassing for his pig and he was trying to glass but we are just getting him in to hunting and so he hasnt learned the techniques and what to look for, this was his first big game hunt. well we were in the same spot that me and my dad got our achery pigs opening morning and we were on top of our "javelina hill". my dad soon said there was nothing on the other hillside, he left to glass somewhere else. five minutes later i found out otherwise. looking into a bush i discovered a mountain lion. i quickly told my friend and he didnt beleive me as we were teasing him all day. i told him to look and he said thats a rock, wait it moved its head its a lion its a luion. i had him go get my dad and when my dad looked at it we began the stalk. the cat was about a 1/2 mile away. we got to 400 yards and couldnt get any closer cause the cover ran out. so i got the 223 and took aim. i aimed about a foot and a half above her head and on the left of it because of wind. i squoze the trigger and she jumped, running, she stopped and i shot her again. the first was at 391 yards and we dont know the second. down she went. me and my friend went to get my bow and our packs, went to the lion and found her the last place i shot. she is about a 6 1/2 foot to 7 foot lion and weighed about 100 lbs. i shot her towards the end of january, cant remember the exact day. but here are pics

th_Hunting157.jpg

th_Hunting160.jpg

th_Hunting163.jpg

th_Hunting173.jpg

Congratulations on your lion and that was a good story you put together. I don't know how old you are but you are young compared to most on here and most have never had the opportunity that you have had to harverst a lion so feel very fortunate. I bet your heart was pounding out of your chest for sure.That is something you can breg about for years to come and I hope you had it mounted. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures with us. That is one awesome lion. :)

TJ

i wish i could get it mounted, to expensicve when my dad is a superintendent for commercial construction and my mom is a teacher. but we are going to tan it ourselves cause once again, too expensive. but it is a great way to start off the year hunting hunterdude. got a archery pig opening day also. to get everyone up to date on here about my hunting carrer i have shot 2 coues, one a 96", the other a little three by three. also a mulie last year. one bull and one cow elk. 3 turkeys, two arhcery pig and one rifle, and my lion. waiting for tags for everything elsse. besides the bear, just waiting to see one when i can harvest him

Sorry I missed this post before Conor-- Nice job again, you've done a great job and what a great accomplishment. Keep it up man.

Great job!!!! Thanks for sharing

congrats

Sure is nice. Glassing up a lion is an accomplishment.

Harvesting one after stalking it, even more so.

Congratulations!

Sure is nice. Glassing up a lion is an accomplishment.

Harvesting one after stalking it, even more so.

Congratulations!

+1!!! ;)

thats alright houston, hey you going on my turkey hunt? cant wait to get my shirt from you! text me and let me know whether you are going, or just reply on here