Sign in to follow this  
RYaN

Spring turkey tags?

Just curious, to who has spring turkey tags this year? Im one of the ones who did not get drawn. Who are the lucky ones?

Howdy Ryan,

Welcome to CWT.com.

I have my first spring turkey tag since about 1995. Got drawn in unit 17. Time to shake the dust off of those box calls.

Doug/RedRabbit

Congratulations Doug, that is a great tag, I chase them every year there during archery, I haven't got drawn for the spring there yet. Good luck

Ryan, I have a 12A tag but I think I will need snowshoes. 5+ inches of snow in flag this morning. :ph34r:

azyoung

when did they start havin' a spring hunt again? last i knew it was a summer hunt. i quit even applying when they moved the season back a month because the forest circus said it was hurting the roads. used to be a great deal when you could hunt em in late march and april, when the strut was actually still on. now the season doesn't start until around the first of may, the hens are already bred and sitting nests by then and the toms are off wandering around waiting for the next year because the strut's already over. Lark.

Thnx for the replies. Good luck azyoung, and Red rabbit. Hope u get ur turkeys. I was drawn last year for 23 spring. We focused on the area around young airport. Saw three nice toms on a hillside, when we were scouting. The turkeys were gobbling every time we went out scouting. The cool thing was, was that they gobbled to the thunder. It was funny, and at the same time pretty cool. Gobbling doesnt beat the elk bugle, in my mind. During the hunt we didnt hear nothing, they just werent gobbling right as the season opened. Me and my dad talked to Game and fish warden, he said it was the same story for other hunters in the area. Anyway, we didnt get a turkey, I got vallley fever, and pneumonia, so i couldnt go back out again. It was a shame :( . Good luck to y'all on turkey hunts.

, and God bless you all!

Ryan

My 10 year old boy and I both have unit 23 spring turkey tags.

I'm quite a novice as I only went on my first spring hunt last year, but I've got a couple of experienced buddies coming along to call for us. I can't wait to get my little one out there!!!

Good luck to all with tags!

S.

:(

Rugerman, i will be up in 6A, for my cousins junoir hunt. My uncle shot a jake out of its roost last year. Good Luck!. Also good luck stanley. Hope your luck is better than ours was last year.

Ryan

Two years ago, a few of us went to New Mexico since we didn't draw an AZ tag. Calling in that tom to about ten yards and seeing it fan out and strut in front of the decoy was a vision now embedded in the cerebral cortex. Sure tasted good deep fried and now his skin is permanently in a strutting mount.

Stan- Sure hope you get to call in a tom for your son. In person is a lot more thrilling than seeing it on an outdoor TV show. I have that new shotgun to initiate into the hunting world. Have 3 different loads to pattern through it.

Keith- I have been archery deer hunting in 17 a couple of times, and the friend whom with I went to NM knows of a few roosts to check out. One fall, we were given the slip by some turkey-lurkeys near Camp Wood.

Good Luck to all.

Doug~RedRabbit

cant draw an AZ tag, so I go to NM every year and kill 2 gobblers.... Can't wait!

I've met a couple AZ fellows in the last couple of years here in New Mexico unit 24. Maybe I've met some fellow CWD.com members?

Kevin

I got a unit 1 tag. I'vs seen lots of birds in there in the past, but this year might change things up a bit. We'll have to wait and see.