Sign in to follow this  
catclaw

Online application process

I'm in the IT industry for a living. The teams that I manage build custom computer systems. This type of thing is always a tough problem to solve for because you have to make assumptions when designing the system. One of the assumptions that always should be accounted for is the 'load' that will be placed on the system during peak & non-peak times (and every time in between...). Depending on the criticality of the system you're building, you sometimes plan for the worse vs. planning for the average.....

The wise thing for NM to do would be to use the data this year to help guide their assumptions for next year's capacity demand. Then they will obviously have to make a decision as to whether to fund enough capacity (servers, etc...) to handle the peak, or if they want to plan for the average again. Again, not an easy problem to solve for.

All that being said though, I don't think they should have extended it. What will happen if on the last day of the 'extended' deadline the system overloads again?? Will they extend it again?

I say that they should have held fast to the deadline, and then account for it in next year's system build (if they see fit....).

S.

:)

All that being said though, I don't think they should have extended it. What will happen if on the last day of the 'extended' deadline the system overloads again?? Will they extend it again?

Extremely fantastic amazing point Stanley. That is exactly the point I want to make. It's not a two sided coin. There are some very comparable political undertones to this arguement as well.

The first side (Liberal/Leftist) says "poor babies, it's okay you waited till the last minute to get your homework done, and now you are too sick(computer traffic overload) to do it. We can just extend the due date, how about that little fella? It doesn't matter that others took the initiative to get it done weeks ago."

The second side (conservative/right wing) "The due date is the due date!! You knew you could have gotten sick or could have been called into work at the last minute."

For me personally, If I got burned on the last day because I waited too long, I would step up and take it like a man. I wouldn't ask for a handout. Learn my lesson and get on the schtick next year.

I know I would be PISSED IF I had to pay two more weeks of interest if I put the sheep ibex, antelope fees on my credit card.

I don't consider it procrastinating, I call it good fiscal sense. I will wait as long as I can to take money out of my account when I am losing or paying interest on it. If they say you can apply up until the deadline time on the 8th, then that is what they have to be prepared for. I am obviously not the only one who feels this way. Their system broke and they stood to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars on it- this is their budget money. Not only did their computers crash, but their phones crashed as well.

They know there is going to be a crunch and they weren't prepared. They really had no choice but to fix the problem. The IRS gives us until April 15th to file. All those who have to pay will wait until then. That is just business.

There was no doubt in my mind that this was going to be extended. If it had only "broke" during the last few hours of the last day I would say that they would not have been obligated to extend- but it was screwed up for 3 days. I know a number of people that stayed up until 4 and 5 am just trying to get through for two days prior. This is not acceptable in Government. They knew it and they did the right thing.

Those of you that are pissed because you paid early and want better odds because those of us that waited until the last week couldn't get in should be ashamed for being so self-centered.

This didn't need to happen- they should have either let an outside vendor that had the capacity to handle it run it or updated their systems. They didn't and it broke!

Those of you that are pissed because you paid early and want better odds because those of us that waited until the last week couldn't get in should be ashamed for being so self-centered.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats the funniest thing I've read on here in a LONG time!!

The exact same thing can be said to those who waited and crashed the system... You guys who waited til the last minute should be ashamed of yourselves for expecting to be catered to and be given an extension..

I wish, LIKE ALOT OF OTHERS ON HERE, that they had just said "TOUGH LUCK" and been done with it.. But, the state of NM is money grubber like the rest of the Gov't and they wanted your money too.. And in doing that, thus pissed ALOT of folks off and made those bad odds that much worse for the rest of us.. And in using your "good fiscal sense" you all crashed the system. Thanks.

Getting into a pissing match with you Prescott boys isn't going to fix this.. I'm done with this one. I'll just continue to hope, like always, to draw either that bighorn or Ibex tag Ive been puttin' in for for so long!!!

I didn't put in for New Mexico so I don't have any bias one way or another. The computers crashed and that's the bottom line, it doesn't really matter whether people waited or not. They have their reasons whether it be money, time, work, or wanted to wait til the last minute it really doesn't matter cause they were still trying to apply during the allocated application period. What I like about this website is the knowledge of people and how you can express your opinion but Scottyboy do you really have to call people out "Prescott Boys" come on, grow up. It seems everytime you post your getting sideways with someone. There are plenty of other websites for that nonsense so have at it.

It seems that a Mr. Dalton has taken it upon himself to try and run me down and be an internet hero in a topic he self admitted to having no business in in the 1st place...and I'm the "insecure" one..hmm... :lol: :lol: nice try, "buddy".

Like I said earlier, I'm long since over this one.. Moving on!

Mr. Dalton? Come on. Once again you have to start calling people names. If someone doesn't agree with you, you have to get personal and call them out or call them names. Why can't you just let people state their opinion.

Denton, Dalton, Bob , Chris, Johnny, Mack, whatever..... its all the same to me..I don't know you from Adam(nor care to).. Simple typing error. Good Lord man, let it go!!

Scottyboy, No pissing match here, just an opinion.

Roughcut, compairing us that disagree with you to liberals is apples to oranges, not to mention dead wrong. I for one am pretty far right in my political views. I'd like to think of my position on this as more of playing with in the rules that the NM G&F established. They made the rules on this not me and therefore it was there responisbility to extend the deadline when they dropped the ball. Good for NM G&F for doing the right thing!

I think where the NM game and fish failed here, is to inform everybody that while we have to pay "up-front" the money was not going to be taken out until after the deadline has passed. I think a lot of people would have started putting in earlier had they known that.

They might have had a crash or a problem with the system but if I remember right NM G&F seems to extend the application date every year. All the other western states seem to get it done every year on the deadline. Our odds already stink enough without dragging on the application deadline........OK give me a little cheese to go along with my whine and I'll be quiet.