Sign in to follow this  
ghostchaser

Drawn for 1st rifle hunt unit 23

Wow! just learned that I drew a tag for a Bull in 23. I put in as a second choice and drew it! I have been mainly focusing in on coues, and have drawn unsuccessfully for elk for 5 years, until now! Anyway, I put in for 23 as my grandfather has a place near Punkin Center, and I did not think I had a chance of getting drawn there. 6A was my first choice and I know people who know 6A very well. At this moment I feel a bit intimidated, and wanted some advise on whether I should tackle this as a DIY hunt, or try and get a guide. I am pretty "green" as an elk hunter, but I know how to scout, have pretty good optics and don't mind scout; that is half the fun!

Just wanted to see what you all thought and if anyone could help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks alot

Start out on your own--call the WM in that unit (there are two of them) and speak with them--they are both great people.

Get out and scout--understand the terrain and see if you can do it yourself.

I would give it a try before i hired a guide.

I don't like you :angry:

:rolleyes: ;)

All depends on how you feel about yourself to get the job done

and if you have the $ to go either way.

I, myself have never used a guide but they are there for a reason.

If you feel you want a guide you better get after it.

Talked to Brian M. today and things are getting booked up pretty quick.

Congrates on the tag.

One question :unsure: You just now found out :o :unsure:

Are you talking first rifle as in the nov/dec hunts or as in sept/oct. Even the nov/dec tags are one of the best tags in the state. If you are willing to get back in and pack them out, nice bulls are there to be had.

Kent

Thanks for the advise guys. Game Hauler, yeah I just found out. I have been focused on changing my bow setup and I think I had just given up on drawing an elk tag. So in the mail I get a brochure from an outfitter saying congrats drawing your tag! I had to re-read the brochure then I jumped online.

The hunt is the rifle bull hunt last week of November.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your input.

Go up to the youth turkey camp next weekend and lend a hand. It's in the heart of 23 elk territory. You could help with the camp chores, get some elk info from the people there, and take some time to ride around getting familiar with the area. It would be a win win for you and the people running the camp.

i wouldnt get a guide.... there are too many great bulls in there you could find on your own to spend the money. there are plenty. and if you go to the turkey camp let me know, maybe i can show you a few spots i know you will find a decent bull. but that is just a sweet unit with tons and tons of elk, just stay up on the rim, unless you go south of young there are some 400+ bulls there, but it is really thick so it will be tough to hunt down there. i would stick up on the rim if i was you

Congrats on the tag. I have the same one. I have a buddy that drew the tag last year and we ended up getting him a 335 bull. Not the biggest but pretty nice none the less. It really depends on what kind of country you want to hunt as to where you will hunt. You can send me an email if you would like and I can give you a few pointers. I have been hunting this unit for over ten years now so I know it pretty well. Good luck.

If you want to know where "Merle's" or "Antlers" are, send me a PM.

:ph34r:

...Orlin, we're gonna get you a BIGGER bull that Gregs!!!

If you think you may need a guide then its likely a good idea. If your not used to getting bulls out of back country canyonlands then you might seriously consider a guide. There are plenty of people who do that hunt every year without a guide and plenty of great without a guide success stories. And if you look at the hunt success rates you will see that half of them go home without a bull. ;)