Sign in to follow this  
Bird Dog

Jr. Turkey Participation

Just wondered how many "youth" hunters people on this site knew were in the field this past weekend or will be going during this hunt?

Some friends around the corner took their neighbor's boy out. They called in 3 gobblers Friday evening and he got his first tom. Saw the hunt video last night. Pretty neat.

RR

I took advantage of it with my 11 year old.

We did a one day warrior trip, went in blind and uneducated didn't put any to bed but had one heck of a fun hunt.

Drove until 1:00am to get where we wanted to start, we were in middle of them all morning until the wind started to blow and then we couldn't hear them any more.

Saw some on the road headed over to the Jr. Camp in 27/1 Units. Chased a tom there.

My boy got to visit with "Woody" at the camp and got a free call out of the visit, plus was taught how to use it.

Went back out about 3:00, got a shot off at a tom and knocked the bird for a loop, but he got up and flew off.

Kicked up one more tom before it got dark but could not get in close enough for a shot.

My son was pretty amazed that a bird with that small of a brain could out smart us. He wants to know if we can put in together next year so I have a gun too.

I told him next year we won't do a one day shot, gotta put those buggers to bed or it is one tough hunt.

Lots of fun, he is hooked and thanks to Woody and the gang at the camp for the burgers and teaching us how to call a turkey.

Took my little brothers up Saturday afternoon and hunted that evening and Sunday morning. Didn't see any other hunters out there.

We hunted Saturday only and I was pretty shocked at the lack of crowd in general. I had expected to be shoulder to shoulder with hunters but was pleasantly surprised.

Real fun hunt, I am positive if we would have put in another day we could have gotten my boy a good look at a tom.....one day just wasn't enough for my turkey skills.