is this the new land owner tag on a desert ranch.come hunt my "" monster bull elk"" only $4000 and best of all you don't have to be drawn.thanks to our law suit we get tags, to make money on you poor hunters.

Az4life, the mnts are the Tortolitas, sorry to miss inform you. It is a bull elk I have take a few of them myself and know what a bull elk looks like, yes there is some big deer in the desert you just have to know where to go to see them. The pictures that az4life has posted show you the elk pretty well. The warden said the elk has not been seen for a while. He is not sure if he has moved on or is just hiding out some where. I'll be out there on saturday hauling water to one of the tanks, so if any of you are out there I'll be in a brown wrangler with a white trailer behind it.

AZPACKHORSE, I am a positive it is a bull elk and I know the mountains in the back ground are the Torolitas, I have seen the tracks and the scat from the elk to know what it came from.

I have always been told by several different people that there are elk occasionally seen in the Pinals and on El Capitan. I have seen a bunch of them at Ft. Thomas in country that looks just exactly like that picture, greasewoods, cactus and such. Seeing them in the Tortolitas is not too much of a stretch and it really is not all that far as the elk trots across 37B into the Tortolitas and Owlheads. Elk need one thing, water. They may not thrive in the low desert but they should do just fine surviving as long as the water hangs around.

Cool pictures!

Bret M.

hunterdude,

Which side are you coming in from, Rail-X, Marana, or Owl Heads? I have been told by several "old timers" that they swear they used to see whitetails back in the Tortolitas above Carpenter Ranch. I suppose anything is possible. I will have to wait to see the pictures Az4life posted as my work computer does not like them.

Those are some cool pics, it's hard to imagine elk in the middle of the desert, but I suppose it happens. About 5 years ago I heard almost the same story about a elk hanging out with a herd of cattle down in St. David. Maybe that was true as well.

You guys don't know what you are talking about. That is a big bodied Coues whitetail with a whopper of a rack.

Coming in from the frontage road off of I-10 on Park link drive. You can get to this spot if you know where to go. I usually come in a different way only because it saves me some miles and I water the game tanks in this area. The elk is true as life can be in the desert. I would not B.S. any of you about this elk. I have never seen any coues in this part of the unit but I would not say it won't ever happen either.

I beleive you, just trying to think of a logical answer. I am very familiar with the area, been tromping around there for many years. If you ever need help hauling water into tanks I would be more than happy to lend a hand, you can send me an e-mail if you like.

If you think about it, elk have moved through the state since being re-introduced and their only obstacles have been us, when they get into units where the azgfd don't want them they move them back or have a hunt to get rid of them. I don't think they could live in the desert in large numbers, but in years like this one with plenty of water and food the only obstacle they would have would be the heat.

I am just waiting for one them Picacho Peak Turkeys (Ostrich) to escape. I don't think it will fit in my smoker though.

:lol:

Update, I'am going out in the am to check my trail cam, its been 3 weeks since I set it up.....Hopefully I set it up right this time and have some cool pics to show you'all :lol:

Is your trail camera set up in 37a or further south. I'm getting ready to set one up myself, just not exactly sure where yet. I have a few ideas but just need to do some more scouting for good trails.

Hunterdude, My trail cam is set up in unit 33. It's just on a average trail, but as soon as I know that I'am setting it up right, then I will hike the 7 miles round trip to set it up in the honey hole :lol:

Good luck with it . I just set out a couple of salt licks today so hopefully they will get some action and I can set one up on them. I scored on three salt blocks and three trace mineral blocks from a feed store that shut down and needed to clean up some of the stuff, they said they had already told some of the feed lots that they could have some of them other wise I could have got more.