catclaw

Vortex 15x56 Kaibab came in-finally

Thx for the comparison all the information from youseslf as well as others has convinced me to buy the Vortex 15's. Now all I have to do is come up with the loot............. thats another story :)

Thanks again

Thx for the comparison all the information from youseslf as well as others has convinced me to buy the Vortex 15's. Now all I have to do is come up with the loot............. thats another story :)

Thanks again

At least it's less loot than you originally planned on ;) .

This is an outstanding thread all!!!! Thanks so much for the honest quality reviews!!

I'm hoping to buy some 'big glass' this fall, and I'll use this info for sure!!!!

S.

:)

Zen ED2 !

Looks like the Zen EDs will be improved with a dielectric prism coating, water repellent lens coating and faster focus rate. Also available in a new 7x36 bino, in addition to the 8x43 and 10x43s.

http://www.zen-ray.com/press.shtml

Prices: Don't forget the 20% off also "save20" code

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?mai...amp;cPath=65_66

Some more thoughts on the Kaibabs.

Our test occured in bright daylight, where the view through lesser optics will sometimes appear bright enough.

We did not test at low light. Also, with 15x binos, one is generally looking for detail at LONG range, usually into shadows (picking out deer in the brush or judging antlers), so one would want/need the best resolution/brightness/contrast possible.

Redoing our test after sunset and at long range should lead to important/pertinent evaluations. The results may stay the same, or change.

Doug~RR

I made the BIG move!!!!!! I ordered the Kaibabs, they should get here next week (Hopefully) I will let you know how they work out this deer season!!

good luck to all!!

A buddy of mine got a pair last month and I helped him one day last week on scouting for his Elk Hunt. We just glassed and I was amazed at how well I could see at dusk. I do not have a pair of Swaros but have looked through them many times. I was impressed enough I will save up some cash to get a pair. I have also heard their customer service is as good as Swaro.

I have heard from one guy that said he thinks the vortex do not hold a focus very well. Like the action is to soft and slip out of focus. This is only one guy i have heard say this. Has anyone seen this. I am thinking very strongly about getting a pair.

CouesAZ,

Your friend and I are of the same opinion- the focus is soft and to me the eyecups are too easily collapsed during transport. That being said though, I haven't had the need to do a quick look with them so getting the focus and eyecups set are just part of the tripod out and the glasses on the post ritual. As far as the glass goes- they are as quality as it comes. I have zero regrets in my purchase....

I guess you are right. Not like they are around the neck glass. I would just use them on the tripod at the truck or from the high glassing hill.

I have read this forum and like all of the input but I am still not sure if you guys did a comparision with the 3 at low light. If you did and I am just dumb and over looked it, can you tell me how the Vortex compared to the Swaro's and lieca's. Thanks for all the great input. I am looking to upgrade my binos and I am really leaning toward the Vortex if they are very comparabile to the Swaro's and Lieca's. Thanks again.

Cummins,

Hope I don't sound like a Vortex commercial but I used this thread also when making my purchase so I hope my input adds a little value to what has already been written. The only true low light comparison I made was during this seasons October hunt- My hunting partner and I were glassing the same hillside when I located a couple of deer well before legal shooting light. My partner was unable to find them so I took over his tripod and locked his swarovski's onto the deers location. It took a moment but his eyes adjusted and he was able to see them. between the two, I saw no discernable difference between the brightness nor the clarity when I snuggled back up behind my vortex. Would I tell someone that kaibab's are as good or better than the swarovski's or leica's? nope. Would I tell them that my eyes couldn't tell a difference between them? all day long.... but that's coming from a guy who's family wraps his christmas presents in lead backed paper so I can't see what's inside. ;)

I just got back from a hunt to where alot of us had different binos. Among the twelve of us we had Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Minox, Nitrex, Leupold and the Vortex.

Well I am going to say for the money Vortex is the way to go, the clarity was there! Now the swarovski were awesome!!! I was finding deer with my Vortex with no problem, but the Swarovski were so much easier to look through, they came into focus alot faster for myself. The vortex are great and do a great job, in fact I think I found more bucks, but I think that is because I've had more time in the field.

The question is will I ever buy Swarovski? Yes I would Like to, probably not for a long time. Just my 2 cents!