Sign in to follow this  
stalkincoues

Archery Bull Elk and wallow video link

I have been wanting to upload this for some time, and finally got it so now I can share it. This was my first Bull hunt and was excited. This is a small 6x7 Bull that I took on a Sept. archery Bull Elk hunt. I had two goals for this hunt. 1st was 340" or bigger, but my ultimate goal was to get good video of the kill. I had bought a new video cam for this hunt. The first day I passed a good Bull I called in, he was approx 320+". Had him at about 35 yards for approx 5 minutes just screaming and chuckling at me. I was behind a big tree and could have shot at any time. Wish I would have grabbed for the camera instead of just watching. I let him walk as it wasn't big enough and first day.

Had a couple of other close calls. I did call in a huge 6x7 Bull pushing 400" and he came in to my right instead of straight in, like we were set up for. When he came in, it was to my right I had no cover except my back against a log. I was on 1 knee, arrow knocked, and release hooked. All I had to do was draw and shoot. He was broadside for about a minute. This was pretty thick and was not sure of the yardage, and having a tought time judging. My range finder at the time was in my leg pocket and couldn't get it out. I was estimating approx 55 yards but wasn't confident. It killed me, but had to let him walk. That was sad to see him walk away forever :(. I made the right decision, after that I ranged where he was and was right at 45 yards. An easy shot but would have hit high and probably just wounded him. I would love to have that monster on my wall right now.

The Bull I shot was on the sixth day and only had 2 more days to hunt. Earlier that morning I had a Bull pushing 340" come to the right of the wallow and pond I was sitting. A bit to far away to shoot. He peered at the wallow and pond and then continued to keep walking to bed. I made a short soft cow call, he looked back but not real interested as he'd just looked for Cows at the pond I believe. I felt he would be back in the afternoon, or evening so I was all ready for him.

Well about 3:30 a Bull bugled and this small 6x7 came right in. At first I was not going to shoot and hold out for the larger one I felt was going to come back this evening. As you can see it took me a minute to knock my arrow and make my final decision. Like I'd said previously, my ultimate goal was to get this on video and I didn't think the opportunity for better video with me shooting would have presented itself.

I filmed this myself with a cheap camera arm mounted to the tree. The camera was a few feet to my right. After I shot him the first time I felt really bad because he did not go down right away like I'd hoped. It was killing me to watch him stand there, I wanted to put a second arrow in him so bad to speed up the process but at my angle, all that I had was a neck shot. I had to wait a couple of minutes for him to take a step out from behind the tree and made another good shot. If I remember correctly, the shots were 47 and 52 yards. Both shots were within 2" of each other. This was as close as I could put the stand to the wallow with out being to close or right on top of him. I knew I could make the shot w/o question so I set up there, but would have prefred to be within 35 yards. The Bull only made it about 50 yards max after the second shot when he runs off screen.

After I shot him, I went and got my hunting partner who was in a tree about a half mile away. While we were skinning my Bull, we heard a big Bull bugling and coming right in towards the wallow. There was no doubt in my mind it was the 340" Bull that walked by earlier. My buddy went after him but spooked him right as he was starting to come into sight. Oh well, that would have been to good to be true. I always wonder what if I had passed this Bull. Would the 340" have came in? I think so, but beings as it was at the end of the hunt I probably made the right decsion.

By the way, can you tell what type of broadhead and stabilzer I was using? I did not even notice them until playback. Not sure why but the video sure became jerky once I uploaded to Youtube.

Enjoy the video.

Nicely Done! That second shot looked like a pump station knock out! That wasn't a plug for FUSE products was it? ;) Good work A+!!!!

That was awesome. You do know he was about ready to go down. But that was great you put another one in him. Congrats that is a great bull. ;)

That is a great motivational piece! :rolleyes:

I have a bull tag this year and I love to hunt tree stands! I only hope!

That made my socks roll up and down!!! Very cool, couldn't tell where the first shot hit (screen a bit fuzzy), second was sweet!!!

I'll be hunting #27 in september, hope to knock one down. I'm a grond blind guy, NOT a huge fan of hieghts..... Congrats nice bull.....