Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

loose or pellets?

Went with 100gr of BH209 loose, and Barnes 250gr tipped TMZ bullets.. Have had the best groups thus far with this load.. Gonna stick with this one for the hunt.

Have also been practicing with 110 grains of 777 pellets as my follow-up shots for the hunt.. Better groups with the 777 pellets than the Pyrodex ones.. The pellets are just SO much easier to deal with, IMO.

Great, now if I can locate some BH209 I'll give it try. On the second shot, if you're using speed loaders I've found it doesn't make much difference, pour vs dump, or dump vs pour, I'm always in a hurry to reload and the speed loaders really make a difference.

A .50 cal Knight rifle I have is capable of fine accuracy with pellets, Powerbelts & Barnes MZ bullets. Here are a couple 100 yard targets with the loads listed.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

With my Knight LRH, I like to go simple. 2 50 grain 777 pellets with 250 grain TC shockwave sabots shoot like a center fire out to 350 yards. 3 pellets grow the groups and waste powder. Good luck.

Well guys, I FINALLY got her dialed in where I want her!!! Here is a three shot group from earlier today.. Casey and I went out and put some lead downrange today.. I shot the muzz and Casey put alot of led into the air with his AR and El Chupacapera. At the 200 yard line, I put in a 2.5" group with the same load, then load up a round for Casey and he puts the dang bullet into the red dot bullseye at 200 with the muzz!! Helluva shot!

Oh yeah, we put a handful of shots through Brutus.. He was a crowd PLEASER!! Just getting that beast out of the gun case had several onlookers waiting to see what a real life elephant gun will do downrange.. After the 1st shot, just about everyone on the range had to stop what they were doing and come see what kind of cannon made that kind of bang!!!

3 shot grouping at 100 with the muzz. 90 grains of BH209, 250gr Barnes TMZ with a 209 primer. Great day at the range!

0801091135.jpg

Scottyboy, I was out at the range as well today, tried the BH209 powder, and was using 250gr Barnes tmz. The accurracy was great at 100 yards, both with the Barnes as well as the T/C shockwave same size bullet. What I'm experiencing though is that the Barnes are almost impossible to get in after the first shot. Almost seems like a crud ring is being formed towards the tip of the barrel. When I switched to the T/C, they went in much smoother, seemed to get past the crud ring. I'm going to try the Barnes T-EZ next week.

Are you experiencing anything similar with starting the Barnes bullets?

Oh ya, very nice group there.

Thanks,

Karl

Yeah, I've also found that the Barnes are harder to load after the 1st shot that the T/C's.. On a clean barrel, they aren't hard, but are still harder than the T/C's still.

I usually swab a patch with a dab of bore butter after every few shots with the Barnes to help that problem.. Wish there was an easier way, but that's what I've found helps best..

I went to the range today and it was closed for maintenance :(

Nice groups with the muzzy! My experience with the Barnes is that they are just harder to load. Also remember that usually TC's have pretty tight bore's. I found the Dead Center 260's to be quite a bit easier to load than the barnes.

It was a good day for sure! Shooting that muzz and getting that group sure was a relief, wasnt it Scott?

I was pleased with the AR and the 257 as well! Good day!

I'm going to try the Barnes T-EZ next week.

Rio, Let me know if you find some of those T-EZ. I looked at Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, and Sportsmans Warehouse in Mesa. The only place I haven'y looked is Sportsmans Warehouse in Phoenix. I have been able to find some on the internet but I don't want to pay the shipping. If you want or anyone else wants to go in on an order together, we could limit the damage and split the shipping. With the shortage of ammo I do not think manufacturers are worried about producing muzzle loading bullets. So we might see a shortage of ML bullets.

Soar AZ,

What you need to do is go to cabelas.com and order them for in-store pickup. This eliminates the shipping charges. I just ordered the 250 gr EZ Barnes and they are in stock. I will never go out of my way to go to Cabelas as they never have in stock what I am looking for.

I shoot the Barnes spitfire 245 gr MZ in my Ruger 77/50 and they work great. I have a new TC Triumph that I haven't shot yet, but have read the spitfires are tough to load so I will try the EZs.

BTW I drew the DEC 39/40/41/42 MD tag. I am looking forward to it

I shot a .685 group at 100 yards today using the 260 grain Dead Centers over 110 grains of BH209. Pretty sure that's what I'm going to use for my antelope hunt next month. Now I just need to do a little long range work to see how they drop out to 300.

BTW I drew the DEC 39/40/41/42 MD tag. I am looking forward to it

Cool, I got the same tag this year.