Coues Archer

what is the best broadhead grain for deer!!!!

What Red said, heavier or lighter won't make a bit of difference if it's not matched to your arrow and it to your bow.

Kevin

Magnus II, 100 or 125 grain fixed broadheads. The broadhead weight should be determend by the approx. 10% weight foward from the center your arrows. :rolleyes:

it is more about your bow weight and arrow length... I've shot elk with 75g 3-blade Muzzies 29in 300grain carbons (same cutting diameter as the 100g).

If you shoot a lighter poundage 75g should be fine, but if you're >70lbs you might consider a heavier head to help stabilize arrow flight.

T

The grains is not determined by the game you hunt, but more by your bow/poundage and the arrow it self. I shoot 100 for everything, but that is just me.

Ok guys. I have my bow set at a 27 inch draw lenght, 66 pounds andI want either a 100 grain or 125 grain broadhead. I am looking for a grain that would produce the most KE for my arrows. Also I'am shooting ST epics and Gold Tip hunter xt arrows.

the heavier 125 broadhead will of course produce more KE; however I'd think that at your poundage and draw length a 100 (or even a 75) would be better as you might be able to get 10 more yards out of your sight pins (the heavier broadhead will need greater pin spacing, maybe even one less pin).

T

90 grain muzzy 4 blade...... cant beat the flight... they fly perfect

The only way to increase KE is to increase energy/poundage. A heavier arrow/head combo will have a 3 to 5% increase in momentum, if the poundage stays the same, which isn't enough to consider.

With your DL and poundage you're probably shooting a GT 5575, to keep the spine correct you will need a 90 to 100 grain head. If you add a 125, you will need to lower your poundage, or buy heavier spined arrows.

If your bow is in tune now, when you change one thing, BH weight, brand of arrow, arrow spine/weight, poundage. You have to change at least one other thing to bring the bow back in tune, changing the rest or nock won't do it. Spine is everything.

Gaining 3% in penetration by using a 520 gr arrow/BH combo over a 360 gr combo will make very little realworld difference. If you don't have the heavier combo tuned perfect so it hits square on target you will lose penetration and have less than the lighter arrow.

Kent

Hey dude... Check out the Trophy Ridge broadheads here:

http://www.trophyridge.com/broadheads/

I shot the older model "Undertakers" and I loved them. I killed my 08 muley with one, and the penetration and damage that thing made was impressive! The deer didn't run more than 40 yards before he dropped. When I field dressed him, there were nothing but shreds where his lungs used to be. I'll be shooting the "Meat Seekers" this upcoming season.

Talk to you soon!