Coues Archer

What rifle is better!!!

Hey guys I have decided that I'am going rifle hunting this year and was thinking of getting a new and improved rifle. I am thinking of getting a rifle that has a heavy barrel and have narrowed it down to the Remington 700 sps Varmint or the Howa/axiom varmint rifle. Would you guys happen to have any experience with these two rifles. Also feel free to say if there is a better heavy barrel rifle for around this price range.

i have a remington model 700 in 270, its my favorite gun, extremely reliable, i have killed 2 elk and 2 deer with it- one coues- its a great all around gun- what caliber are you thinking of getting?

The caliber I was thinking of getting was a .308. And hunting was from mule deer, pronghorn, and elk. I' am also willing to pay about $750. For you redrabbit I'am a hunter who hunts in different variations depending on the environment and where I hunt its mostly mesquite, acorn trees, and sage brush along with grassy plains. I want a gun that is really accurate for far shots.

A friend of mine has the 700 VTR in .308 with the triangular barrel and loves it. So far he has had very good luck with factory ammo. Thinking of getting one my self just wish they had it in 270 wsm or 300.

If your willing to raise your budget, Kimber makes an awesome .308, just a tack-driver with factory ammo. Now if you win the lottery I would suggest the Christenarms .300 Ultra WSM. It makes 500 yd shots easily.

I don't think I'd be spending my money on a Christensen Arms... I have heard several times over that the quality is not there. The barrels are the only thing special about them and they can be bought from other sources. A good custom shop would be my first choice but any Rem 700 actioned rifle will do very good things for you. ;) Any good .30 cal will do if want to stretch it out a touch...IMO. I am 300 WBY guy, myself... ;)

my dad has a christensen arms 300wsm in the hunter model, and it is an awesome gun!! Gino, you saw what it did on my sheep hunt ;) and my dad killed his bull elk at 540 yards this year, it was a very impressive shot!!! The remington sps varmint rifles are getting great reviews from what i have seen...but not sure about the howa rifles, how much do they cost does anyone know?

I don't know if I would want to huff a varmint weight barrel, 12 pound rifle, up the mountains.

You might look to find a used Remington Sendero fluted in 300 Win Mag, 300RUM, 7RUM. (not that the Sendero is a light rifle either, but looks like you are wanting heavier than standard).

This article may give you some ideas. You might also search the LRH site for threads on "best factory rifle".

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f5/...et-jerry-teo-6/

If you consider not having a varmint contour barrel, the Weatherby Vanguard SubMOA will keep you under budget. Might do a trigger job on it (or any rifle) though.

edited post 6/29 0717

I can't imagine packing a varmint rifle in 308 after coues deer. If you want a heavier contour get the Sendero like Doug suggests. The 308 is a fine caliber but where you aren't limited buy Gov't specs or other limitations, I would think a little flatter shooting rifle would be better considering that you don't mind the extra weight. Get a sendero in 300 WSM or something similar and don't look back.

I wouldn't plunk down anything for a Christianson Arms- I have talked to two people with bad experiences for everyone with good!

I have a winchester model 70 in 300 ultra mag- killed 2 coues at 500 yds, and an elk at 565, no problems. I bust baloons out to 800 yds. Standard rifle, free floated barrell and all hand loads.

I own three 700's--one Sendero in the .300 win mag that is heavy to lug around but if you want to reach out and touch something you can not beat it. I also have the .22-250 that is used for varmint and most of the times we do stands so i don't really lug it around too much. I also have the SPS in the .204 Ruger that i use for varmints and it is a tack driver--the only thing i do not like about the .204 is loading it--i think it has more to do with the caliber than anything else but the little .204's do not want to slip into the clip area too easily--other than that you can not go wrong with a 700.

Instead of Howa how about a Tikka?? awesome rifles that are deadly out of the box--i own the .270 WSM in the Tikka T3 Light and it has killed antelope, deer, elk, and a bunch of coyote's--great guns and not very expensive considering the workmanship that they have put into them.