Switchback

Another Draw Question

My oldest son, Tyler, is now 20... and from ages 11 through 16 drew an antlerless Kaibab tag and a 6a cow tag (both jr's hunts) alternately every year. I had always thought that g&f might have done that on purpose somehow, as one of my hunting buddies with a son the same age did exactly the same thing. It is too bad that your son didn't get a tag, I bet he was bummed.

I would like to see some way of ensuring the kids get to hunt as well... those years between 10 and 14 are the ones that will get them hooked. If they can't go into the woods, all the other things can quickly become more important.

My youngest guy, Matthew, just turned 10 in may and had already been drawn for a 6a cow tag this year before his birthday... He was so exited. he has been hunting with me for several years, has his own tripod with 10x50 glass, and can't wait to be the one carrying the rifle.

He was absolutly floored yesterday when I called him up and told him to get ready for some cold weather in November on the Kaibab... His exact words were "I am the luckiest kid in the world."

I am happy for him that he gets a chance to spend a lot of time in the field this year, but I was also thinking that it would maybe be better to have the kids that had already been drawn for a hunt this year see an "Not Drawn" for deer so other kids can get out too.

Do you loose your bonus points when you apply for a leftover tag

Nope

My son drew tags at 10, 11, and 12. He filled 7 tags between age 10 and 16. I guess things really have changed the last few years. BTW he turned 18 in March no more Jr. tags for him, he did get to turkey hunt this spring with a draw tag but he skunked out in the fall draw. Hopefully your son will draw next year. I think there is enough hunts that are exclusive to juniors, as much as I would like to see every one of them go. :(

No you do not.

Holy Smokes, how many time can you answer the same question?!?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I should pitch in.

Nope you getta keep your points. :lol: :lol:

what is wrong with the left over tags? plenty of deer in those units for the youngsters to hunt.

+1

I hunted on leftover tags after being unsuccessful in the first draw, nearly every year, starting at age 12, and went till I was 21 until I finally killed a deer. It wasn't for a lack of trying, I can tell you. But I hunted left over tags in different unknown areas and had to learn a new area every time. Be thankful there are youth tags at all... and that you can sign yours over if your youth hunter doesn't draw. To guarantee youth tags is to encourage those who would to live vicariously through their children. New Mexico has a second draw, open only to youth hunters unsuccessful in the first round. I think that idea has merit, but the way Arizona gets results out, your youth's hunt would be over by the time they found out they had a tag...

This year plan A was our son would draw his own, plan B we'd sign one of ours over if we drew and he didn't. Luckily we all pulled a tag, but if his hunt goes south for some reason, it's highly likely one of us will still sign over a tag to him.

My 15 year old daughter has never drawn a youth hunt, but she has hunted deer every year since she was 10. This will be the fifth time I have signed over a tag, ( if none of the leftovers come through ) three to Sarah, and two two for my son. I put in for a gimme just about every year while applying my kids for the youth hunts, being able to sign over your tag to a youth is a really great thing that AZGF has done.