Sign in to follow this  
coueselk

Upcoming Namibian Leopard Hunt

To my friends on CW, I'm getting ready to leave for my leopard hunt in two days. I'm going to try to give day by day updates while on the hunt. The past hunts where to hard to do with the kids. So I decided that I'll give it a go on this one, network permitting.

This will be probably my last hunt in Africa, as we are hoping to go back to the US next year. Plus, with all the animals we have taken on the past two hunts with the kids, we are going to have big problems with where to put all the mounts in the house.

My primary animal is the leopard but since I'm on this hunt by myself (wife and kids are in the US for a couple of months) I have pretty much said anything goes for which I haven't taken already. So I hope to get quite a few animals.

So this should be a good start to the hunts thread.

I have been doing laundry all day, packing my bags and charging the cameras. PH sent me a text today and said that it is freezing there. So I'm already at a disadvantage, here in the Congo it never freezes, so I don't have any cold weather clothes. So I'm packing whatever I can layer to keep me warm.

Another sleepless night tonight in antisipation of the upcoming travel. So with quite a few shots and cold one chasers going down, some good old country music rocking throughout the house and neighborhood. :) I leave you until Wednesday.

This thread is going to be awesome.

Good luck and hopefully you can keep us updated regularly!

good luck

Man that is awesome.! It has always been my dream to take a full blown African safari. Good luck on your hunt and we hope you got some great pics and a good story when you are done. Stay safe out there!

Best of luck. I had an email from friends in Pretoria today who said they have never experienced such a cold winter as this one in South Africa and both are in their 70s.

Bill Quimby

As promised all. Here is the beginning of the story. I'm a couple of days behind, but having problems with the network.

Well the hunt began with landing in Windhoek. My guides welcomed me with good news that they had a couple of different good cats hitting the baits. With getting settled in that night after a quick dinner and a few beers, the next day would be interesting.

Day one, July 29th. After getting up early after a nice hot shower, here is a picture of the sunrise from the lodge.

post-19-1249118429_thumb.jpg

We had a quick breakfast and then headed out to do a little sighting in of the rifles and then procede with checking of the baits.

We checked the first two but nothing had been hitting them. As we were headed for the 3rd bait, I happen to spot these gemsbok and snapped a couple of pictures.

post-19-1249118520_thumb.jpg

When we arrived at the 3rd bait, there was good news. The big cat that had ate on this a few days before had been back again. They had put up a trail camera and we were quick to see the pictures. It was a very large tom. Everyone is excited.

post-19-1249118767_thumb.jpg

So now we get to work on building the blind. From the pictures, it looked as if the cat was feeding just after sunset, so we had to work hard.

post-19-1249118570_thumb.jpg

post-19-1249118706_thumb.jpg

As we were building the blind, we heard a dog barking nearby and then the screams of a young warthog. One of the PH’s grabbed his shotgun and we ran toward the commotion. It was a poachers dog that had caught a piglet. The dog looked happy as we walked up to it, as it had done a good job. Neverless, it was a poachers dog, so I shouldn’t have to say more.

post-19-1249118595_thumb.jpg

post-19-1249118619_thumb.jpg

Well we went back to work on the blind and finished up at around 1:00pm. Hurried back to the lodge to grab some additional gear for the cold night ahead.

We got back into the blind around 4:00pm and it was dead silence from there on. Into the night was sounds of jackels and even some baboons, which we figured had spotted the leopard somewhere on the mountains near us. It was a long, cold night of pushing each other to stop any signs of possible snoring. No leopard this night.

The story to continue.............

post-19-1249118733_thumb.jpg

Very cool! Good luck on getting that big ole cat or another one for that matter. Thanks for the update.