Sign in to follow this  
RHINO

300 ultra mag reloading help

I am trying to find a new load for my 300 um, and was wondering if anybody here has used vihtavuori powder and if so what they thought about it. Thanks for any of your help.

I am trying to find a new load for my 300 um, and was wondering if anybody here has used vihtavuori powder and if so what they thought about it. Thanks for any of your help.

I have used the 300 RUM extensively and VV powder extensively. Just not together. My experience with the VV powders is very positive. The Finn's make reloading products with EXTREME precision and consistency. My best loads in a 2 different 300's was RL-25 and the 180 ACCUBONDS.

Guest bearmtnsports

92gr of retumbo and a 210 VLD and we have 215M 's in and we have alot

sorry I don't have any experience with that powder. I do shoot a 300 UM, and I do reload my own rounds. I shoot a 165 gr swift scirocco with 98.2 gr. of reloader 22. It is an awesome set up for my gun and for my needs.

I have a load for my Ultra mag using VV powder...... 125gr Sierras with 96.5 gr of N165 powder. The rounds are flat shooting but screaming out of the barrel so I dont shoot this load often But the groups are half inch at 100yds.

+3, kinda funny you metion this load, I myself and 2 other friends use this same load, Federal 215M's, 92 grains of Retumbo with 210 Berger VLD's. Very very accurate in our three rifles!!! I tried the scirocco and had no luck, but will try that RL22, thanks for the info!!!

+3, kinda funny you metion this load, I myself and 2 other friends use this same load, Federal 215M's, 92 grains of Retumbo with 210 Berger VLD's. Very very accurate in our three rifles!!! I tried the scirocco and had no luck, but will try that RL22, thanks for the info!!!

Same deal for me and another buddy of mine. I would guess that this is one of the most popular loads for 300 RUM shooters.

For those of you shooting the 210 Bergers you should give the 210 JLK Long Tails a try. Very accurate with a higher BC.

Good luck!

Dont over look the 208 AMAX. IMHO it is a better deer bullet and has a higher BC than the 210 Berger. It is publilshed at .649. I have tested it out of my 300 RUM at .671 which is even better.

308nut. what are your specs for your RL-25 and 180 accubonds (OAL, Velocity, Grains, Primer)?

will others share what their specs are for the 210 VLD and Retumbo?

thanks.

I have been getting my best groups with:

97.5 grs. Retumbo

180 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip

3.650" OAL

3240 fps.

.40" 3 shot groups.

extreme spread for a three shot group is usually 8-11 fps.

BTW i have a sendero 2.

what are all your specs?

My specs were:

90.0 RL-25 under the 180 AB. Velocity was 3300 FPS. COAL was 3.700" Federal 215 match primers. Remington cases.

These specs will yield quite a bit less velocity in your factory rifle. You will need more powder. My barrel was a custom "tight neck" and benchrest chamber which yeild MUCH higher pressures than a factory barrel. This is why I was getting so high a velocity with so little powder. Max book charges would blow my barrel in half.

I was also using 93.0 H50BMG under the 208 AMAX at 3.700, getting 2975 FPS and consistent .25 MOA accuracy. H50 may be a bit slow for a factory rifle.

210 grain JLK's

92 grains Retumbo

3.73 OAL

Fed 215 primers

1/4 inch at 100 yards

I haven't chrono'd this load yet but I suspect it will be 3100 fps + or -

I'm shooting a custom built by Todd Bettin.

are you going sheep hunting this week?

Yes. I leave Friday after work. Season opens on the 10th. I flew the area yesterday and saw a good bunch of rams. I dont know if I will get one this trip or even this year. I promised a friend who has never harvested one he could have first crack. I think the one we are after is legal. We need to scrutinize him more closely though.

90 gr of retumbo

210 VLD

OAL 3.64

Velocity 3125

28" Schneider barrel

3 shot groups under half inch at 200yards a few times, average is about 1inch. I contribute that to me being a beginner re-loader.

It shoots under a half inch at 100 most everytime.

Shane its 1in 12..I tried a bunch of loads in 180's and 190's still likes 210 best. When I shot

The 92 gr retumbo it shot over 3500. I just backed it down a bit.

my boy has a christensen 300 rum. we load a buncha retumbo behind 180 gr nosler accubonds. works very well. i killed a bull and a buck with it last year. buck was 640, elk was 735. Lark.

we use 99 grains of retumbo. don't remember right off hand the velocity. the trick is to get the right overall length for your rifle. very accurate rifle. Lark.