Sign in to follow this  
desertdog

Will we ever see it?

It has been 56 years sense Mr. Stockwell has taken the current world record. Year in year out many great bucks have been taken, but none that will over take his monster. So my question is will we ever see a new world record. I will not even get into the discussion of "has one already been taken hat is just sitting in some one barn or hanging on a wall and not scored" that is just a different post altogether. So my vote is we will probably see one but maybe not in my life time, and I am only 32.

what is the score of the current world record? I think we might see one in the next ten years, and my guess is that it will come from Sonora, Mexico...

Thats a tough question to answer. The World record mule deer and CouesWhitetail have stood for quite awhile. The Northern whitetail record was broken some years back, and elk records are broken more often than deer.

I would have to say no in the United States, maybe from mexico? I do believe the genetics are still there in some areas?. Look at the world record bow kill taken 7-8 years ago, it was taken, I believe, in the same general area as the Rifle Record in 34A.

If there is a world record out there I feel it would probably be in a unit that has areas that do not see any or very few hunters. With the amount of serious and hardcore trophy hunters that are hunting harder and farther into difficult areas, alot of great bucks are being killed before they can ever reach, if possible, world record status.

Genetics are a big factor in antler size, a big buck can live its whole life and die of old age, and never grow antlers big enough to beat the world record. But if the genetics are there.......?

I think There are bucks that have been killed that are bigger, but because of scoring deductions they don't make the grade.?

I have heard rumor of big Coues bucks living in areas of heavy timber. These bucks would be almost impssible to glass up, and would require skilled still hunting or a good stand. Who's to say that there is not a potential world record in some remote heavily timbered area? Just a thought!

SCORE: 144 1/8

HUNTER: Ed Stockwell

OWNER: Barbara Stockwell

DATE: 1953

KEY MEASUREMENTS:

Length of main beam: Right 20 2/8 - Left 20 5/8

Inside spread: 15 3/8

Circ. of smallest place between burr and first point: Right 5 4/8 - Left 5 6/8

Number of points: Right 5 - Left 5

what is the score of the current world record? I think we might see one in the next ten years, and my guess is that it will come from Sonora, Mexico...

144 1/8 is the score of the current world record. Mexico is a great guess, there is just so much untouched land down there. But I will go out on a long limb and say right here in the good ole USA. I want to say in Arizona but something is telling me New Mexico. Call me crazy I guess I just like bing different :lol: or just stupid.

I would take a stab that the San Carlos wouldnt be too hard to fathom......monster sheds have been found that are pretty scary and 130's are killed by the natives there almost every season with rifle..

Thats a tough question to answer. The World record mule deer and CouesWhitetail have stood for quite awhile. The Northern whitetail record was broken some years back, and elk records are broken more often than deer.

I would have to say no in the United States, maybe from mexico? I do believe the genetics are still there in some areas?. Look at the world record bow kill taken 7-8 years ago, it was taken, I believe, in the same general area as the Rifle Record in 34A.

If there is a world record out there I feel it would probably be in a unit that has areas that do not see any or very few hunters. With the amount of serious and hardcore trophy hunters that are hunting harder and farther into difficult areas, alot of great bucks are being killed before they can ever reach, if possible, world record status.

Genetics are a big factor in antler size, a big buck can live its whole life and die of old age, and never grow antlers big enough to beat the world record. But if the genetics are there.......?

I think There are bucks that have been killed that are bigger, but because of scoring deductions they don't make the grade.?

I have heard rumor of big Coues bucks living in areas of heavy timber. These bucks would be almost impssible to glass up, and would require skilled still hunting or a good stand. Who's to say that there is not a potential world record in some remote heavily timbered area? Just a thought!

SCORE: 144 1/8

HUNTER: Ed Stockwell

OWNER: Barbara Stockwell

DATE: 1953

KEY MEASUREMENTS:

Length of main beam: Right 20 2/8 - Left 20 5/8

Inside spread: 15 3/8

Circ. of smallest place between burr and first point: Right 5 4/8 - Left 5 6/8

Number of points: Right 5 - Left 5

I agree with Brent on this one..

I would take a stab that the San Carlos wouldnt be too hard to fathom......monster sheds have been found that are pretty scary and 130's are killed by the natives there almost every season with rifle..

I know a full time guide there, they were chasing a coues last year that he said would crush the world record, he first thought is was a nice muley and then they realized it was a coues.........

Switchback

heavy timber the one place down south that i think of 35B up in the Patagonian mnt

i could be dead wrong it a hard place to glass and most hunters hunt south of the unit by nogalis or by Canelo Hills

joeybari,

I may have misread snapshots post but my guess would be the northern units...There are some toads up there...

All the sky islands have heavy timber. I think their will be a new WR fairly soon. If not here in AZ, definately in Old Mexico. I think its just a matter of time before they start farming them there. Just like TX.

Yep, I think it's going to fall...... Perhaps even twice!

All the sky islands have heavy timber. I think their will be a new WR fairly soon. If not here in AZ, definately in Old Mexico. I think its just a matter of time before they start farming them there. Just like TX.

there is already a good number of ranches in mexico that are "farming" mule deer and coues!! i was shocked when i started hearing some of the stories of what goes on down there!

I would like to think that it will fall this year, with my December tag that I have waited for for 13 years :rolleyes: I also would like to think that I will be the hunter :lol: ;)

Help me out, isnt that NM buck at 196" or so the new world record? If the stockwell buck is the current, I am sure in the next couple of years, that is possible to be broken..........AT.......

A world record will be set in Pima county in the next five years.

Bob