CouesWhitetail

Campout up by Green's Peak

The tree was chewed by a bear eating the cambium layer. I have seen it many times on the Grahams and learned about it from Tom Waddel who studied bears up there for 10 years. I have seen where they have also did that to junipers, but their favorites seem to be spruce and fir trees.

It surprises me that they can chew it all up without leaving claw or tooth marks. That exposed part of the tree was soft and would take marks easily, yet I couldn't find anything that looked like claw or tooth marks.

Do you normally not see marks in the trees you find?

Amanda

The sad part about Greer fishing is that the lakes all leak. If you go up there, they are all about empty now. G&F has been working on River Res for a few years to no avail, and they are to the point of calling in the little Dutch boy. Leaks out so much that the boat ramp is not long enough the drive down the the water.

Economy is so bad in Greer that they closed the timber mill.

Then, near Greens Peak is the dern wolf recovery area; not safe to have lil' Fifi out on the woods lest he becomes wolf food.

Actually the lakes in Greer don't leak the reason they are so low this time on year is that they are the storage reservoirs for the Round Valley irrigation system. By this time of the year the farmers in the valley have been irrigating for 4 months and used up most of the water in time for the monsoon. Just a little clarification is all.....

The tree was chewed by a bear eating the cambium layer. I have seen it many times on the Grahams and learned about it from Tom Waddel who studied bears up there for 10 years. I have seen where they have also did that to junipers, but their favorites seem to be spruce and fir trees.

It surprises me that they can chew it all up without leaving claw or tooth marks. That exposed part of the tree was soft and would take marks easily, yet I couldn't find anything that looked like claw or tooth marks.

Amanda

I have heard these trees called Sugar Pines as well. As mentioned above bears love them....i've see stands of 20 trees all peeled and ready for Mr. Bear.

SD79,

Guess the tongue didn't push the cheek out enough in my post ;) .

A few years ago I heard that G&F had secured an agreement to maintain a certain minimum pool for River Res.

RR

I'd have guessed it was a Porcupine that was eatin that tree... about the right hieght for one stnding on the ground.... just my $.02.

Looks like a Great time! Gunna have to try those Margs one of these times! ;)

Amanda

Normally the only thing that you can see when they are fresh is where they use their front teeth to scrape the cambium off and eat it. I never really looked for teeth marks on the bark portion. You can also find bear scat in the area with the cambium in it. the picture looks like there was a lot of sap in the bare area that could be masking the teeth marks.

SD79,

Guess the tongue didn't push the cheek out enough in my post ;) .

A few years ago I heard that G&F had secured an agreement to maintain a certain minimum pool for River Res.

RR

No worries RR....i just grew up in that area and spent many hours in the fields watching that water help grow our hay. They actually went in a couple years ago a tried to fix the dam on River Res. because it did leak a little bit and the Army Corps of Engineers deemed it "unsafe". River will also always have a little water in it as the headgate doesn't allow it to go completely dry. Great lake for Browns....spent many and early spring up there chasing them.

SD

That mushroom looks like either a leccinum or a king boletus. Both are edible, although the king boletes are much better table fare.

That mushroom looks like either a leccinum or a king boletus. Both are edible, although the king boletes are much better table fare.

It was a boletus. Not sure why it hit me so hard. I have read that if it's not cooked thoroughly it can make you sick, perhaps I got a peice less done than the rest. Don't know. Or maybe it was just a coincidence that I got sick that night, although that seems unlikely.

Amanda

Thanks for sharing Amanda. Looks like everyone had a great time. I have been thinking about joining the mushroom club here in az so I will know which ones are good to eat. :)

TJ

Thanks for sharing. I love living up here, but I'm wierd, most people wouldn't like it so much.

the tree was probably debarked by a porcupine. they peel the bark off and like the sap and sometimes peel the cambium. Bears do the same, but as low as it is I'd bet porcupine.

Glad to hear about the grouse sighting, they are seldom seen, and season opens tomorrow.