Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

What is this rifle worth? Pre 64 Win

Gents,

I have a coworker who is offering me a pre 64 (1953 I believe) chambered in 300H&H. He told me to throw out a number to him and make an offer. I have no idea what the gun is worth. It hasn't been cleaned in years, is in pretty poor shape, but the action is still sound and could be put to work.

Let's hear what you guys think this gun is worth and what could be done with it should I decide to buy it. I think it'd make a beautiful African plainsgame rifle with a nice walnut stock with an ebony wood end, nice glass on top..

Thanks for your input, guys..

S6301372.jpg

S6301375.jpg

S6301377.jpg

S6301381.jpg

S6301385.jpg

S6301379.jpg

S6301390.jpg

S6301374.jpg

go to gunbroker.com and type in pre 64 into the search engine, There is a .375 H&H in better shape for $1600 with 3 days to go and the reserve is not met. There are others of various calibers and condition that might help you come up with a value you both can agree on.

If you are going to use it to do a custom, there are some other options so I wouldn't offer the farm for it. You can get a really decent commercial action from CZ for around $600 that is either .375 H&H or .416 Rigby based and can do a ton of calibers on. They need some refining, but other than that, they have a lot of great features from the 98 Mauser that the Winchester won't have (like a third lug, better gas handling, etc.). Not knocking Winchester ... I own more than a few. They are great ... there are just some other options out there. Now if that were a pristine gun ... that would be different.

I offered him 750 for it, take or leave it, and he left it.. Felt he could get 1K with it online.. I felt that I was going to have to sink another 500 into into it just to get it where I wanted it.

I wanted to get the whole thing stripped down, reblued, glass-bedded, nice new trigger job, strip down the whole stock and refinish it, and top her off with an old school cherry red recoil pad.. I would guess getting that done was going to run me AT LEAST $500 (do you figure that is ball park for that amount of work?) more into the gun jut to get it where I wanted it!

Sure would like to have it, but not for 1K.. I think I could find one in much better shape..

Pity. I woulda taken her with me to Africa in May.. where she belongs!

Well you were offering about $250 more than I would have .... and you are probably right about the $500 to get it looking good again... The only issue is that all the work you would have done would actually hurt the return value in the future ... especially if you paid $1000 or more...

I know what ya mean about resale value.. But had I got the gun and sank 5-600 buck into it to get it where I wanted it, I would have held onto it for the rest of my days.. I wouldnt sell a gun like that.

Oh well.. Plety of them around still.

Low Baller.

WOW that would have looked great when you got done with it. I think you will find another for the right price.

I offered him 750 for it, take or leave it, and he left it.. Felt he could get 1K with it online.. I felt that I was going to have to sink another 500 into into it just to get it where I wanted it.

I wanted to get the whole thing stripped down, reblued, glass-bedded, nice new trigger job, strip down the whole stock and refinish it, and top her off with an old school cherry red recoil pad.. I would guess getting that done was going to run me AT LEAST $500 (do you figure that is ball park for that amount of work?) more into the gun jut to get it where I wanted it!

Sure would like to have it, but not for 1K.. I think I could find one in much better shape..

Pity. I woulda taken her with me to Africa in May.. where she belongs!

If the barrel looks like the action, you would probably be looking at another $500 on top of the cosmetic work, just for a new barrel.

That rifle wasn't worth $500. It was in horrible shape. Good Call.

That gun is not as bad as it looks. Granted it looks bad in the pix, but it is not all that bad at all. But, he didnt buy it.