joeybari

Elk late rut

I guess this is a massage for those that just got done with your 2009 archery bull elk hunt (I hope you were all successful). Was or has the rut starting a little later this year I think this has been happening for the past 5 years any insight would be helpful for those that were there this year.

I have been asking the same thing and it seems that most areas are starting to get full swing about now. Most people have said the evenings have been good for calling. If you have a tag I would post the unit and hope there are some hunters getting back that were in the area. I agree though on the last 5 years.

I seen and experienced that two years ago, the only reason a bring it up is bcs I had a tag about 6 years ago and the rut was in full swing the day of the hunt two years ago on my dads hunt it seemed it took about 4 days for the elk to get going on the rut. I wonder if the game and fish are aware of this and if they have any ideas.

I just got back from my Bull elk hunt in 7 west. The rut had not kicked in. We hunted the entire hunt from Sept 11th until sept 24th. Bulls would bugle in some areas before first light until about 6:30 -7:00 am. We hunted water and spot and stalk! It was still warm and the Elk were very active at night. So I believe the rut is starting later. I think the early rifle hunters should be in luck! It was my first Elk hunt and I had a blast even though I didn't tag out.

The elk in 7W are just trying to survive. There is no grass in most areas and water is scarce. Every tank with water has multiple blinds on it. I saw several cows with their ribs showing. I saw cows eating pine needles off the trees.

When there is no feed, the cows do not cycle. With no hot cows, rutting is minimal. We had two days of decent bugling, nothing special though and it ended very early in the morning. It's not supposed to be 50 degrees at 5:00 am and 70 at 10:00 am on an elk hunt.

I had a tag in 06 and the hunt started later that year and we felt the rut was winding down when the hunt started,,,,,It definitely got harder towards the tale end of the hunt that year

post-491-1253910386.jpg

We talked to a few locals in 7w that said there were herds of 50 to100 elk in the unit 3 weeks before the hunt. Then the holiday weekend came and there were herds of 4 wheelers, Rangers all over and the elk really thinned out or just went deep. Mix that and not much food and the heat it makes for a tough hunt.

So im not one to believe the big hoopla about global what ever but I even herd from a G&F officer say that is the factor for the delay in the start of the rut :angry:

Almost forgot I also heard that G&F brought the helicopter in and busted up some herds in some areas around 7,8,and 9 before the hunt. But not sure how true that was.

Here is a list of archery elk season start dates poached from another hunting site. Looks like the start date has shifted from the 3rd Friday to the 2nd Friday of September.

1995 9-15

1996 9-13

1997 9-12

1998 9-18

1999 9-17

2000 9-15

2001 9-14

2002 9-13

2003 9-12 one of the best ruts

2004 9-17

2005 9-16

2006 9-22

2007 9-14

2008 9-12

2009 9-11

In looking at the fall hunt calendar for unit 6A, there are only 2 weekends that do not have a hunt in 6A, those being Oct 9 and Nov 13. October 9 is the date starting the junior deer and javelina hunts in other units. Nov 13 is a start of mule deer hunts in other units.

So many seasons, so little calendar to prevent overlap.

hello - ok now what year did they start the early rifle hunts ? - the whole idea -In my opinion was back then archers were enjoying the best hunting during the rut!! And takin monster bulls - most of the big wigs at g$f weren't into archery - thus they implamented these trophy hunts - I may be wrong but thats how I remember it goin!! Gary

The elk in 7W are just trying to survive. There is no grass in most areas and water is scarce. Every tank with water has multiple blinds on it. I saw several cows with their ribs showing. I saw cows eating pine needles off the trees.

When there is no feed, the cows do not cycle. With no hot cows, rutting is minimal. We had two days of decent bugling, nothing special though and it ended very early in the morning. It's not supposed to be 50 degrees at 5:00 am and 70 at 10:00 am on an elk hunt.

+1 on all counts.

During dry years the rut is weak. Lots of bulls still have big patches of velvet right now. Not near as many broken bulls this year either compared to other years at this time.

I was in 6A west for opening archery weekend. Hardly heard any bugling except for the hunters.

From what I heard, some were able to call a couple in, but not close enough to get a shot, when my buddy and I called, there seemed to be no interest.

If you kicked them up, they were barely vocal while moving, and if they bedded down, call all you want, they didn't care.

After everyone telling me what a kick it is to be hunting during the rut, I didn't experience this on my hunt. Got lucky on day #2, so don't know if things improved up there or not as the hunt went on.

It would help if everyone left the bugle calls at home. Nothing says, "Here come the hunters", like a few dozen road bugles on opening morning.

3A/3C is loaded with water and they still aren't really going. I hate to say, but a buddy of mine I was helping when I could steal away from work went home with tag soup. He passed on a couple 340-350 class bulls but was holding out for a bigger one. Up here in the White Mtns it has been very bleak. I know 3 guys with archery tags who are VERY good hunters with lots of helpers that still ate their tags.

It seems to me to just be an "off year". Areas that are typically loaded with bulls have only a couple and they are far from vocal. We all thought it would pick up over the last week, but it really didn't.

Hopefully, the rifle hunter I'm helping out will do better than the archery hunters. No doubt about it, this is a harder year than I've seen, and I don't know why. The tanks aren't getting wallowed, the satellite bulls aren't giving up the big herds and the herd bulls are shutting up well before first light and getting deep in before shooting light. The few that talk at all are wary enough to keep their distance and stick to the thick stuff.

Good Luck!

Jason