Sign in to follow this  
game hntr

dead elk 6x6

It has been brought to my attention that I was insinuating that you should brake the law to retrieve the antlers.....Sorry it came across like that. When fully decomposed and NOT against the law to retreive I would go and get the antlers. You can always talk to the WM for the unit and get a feel about whether or not he'd be willing to let you get the rack.....I would think he/she would want to investigate.

No harm no foul GH.

Alex, I sent you a PM regarding where you found this bull. I shot one that looked a lot like that and I couldn't find it. I shot it I believe on the 15th of Sept.

No problem, I have a tag, we just go there and taged and once we get to your house....you can have it. Problem sold.

Ernesto C

No problem, I have a tag, we just go there and taged and once we get to your house....you can have it. Problem sold.

Ernesto C

That sounds a little iffy :unsure:

I'll talk to my buddy about that

but as I stated before, you pretty much

have 48 hours to recover unless they know

you have been out every day trying to recover it.

I think that rule is in affect because of the scenario

that you just posted.

Not judging or meaning bad,

just replying ;)

We found one this past weekend a nice 6X7 the bones were scattered everywhere around it. He was dead for a lot longer than this one you found. I wasn't really sure if we could take it or not. There was only one little patch of hide left on the skull and that was it. What do you guys think? Take it or leave it there?

I went in the same place couple days ago.. The rack was gone. I called the guy from G&F and he told me he took the rack. I asked him if i can keep it. He said NO YOU CAN'T. Next time i know what to do. (don't tell them anything even if you don't take it home.. leave it there) why somebody needs to know where you hunt. I bet this guy will tell his friends and they will be there hunting soon.. there are more elks and lots of fresh tracks and I'm sure he will send his friends there.

I went in the same place couple days ago.. The rack was gone. I called the guy from G&F and he told me he took the rack. I asked him if i can keep it. He said NO YOU CAN'T. Next time i know what to do. (don't tell them anything even if you don't take it home.. leave it there) why somebody needs to know where you hunt. I bet this guy will tell his friends and they will be there hunting soon.. there are more elks and lots of fresh tracks and I'm sure he will send his friends there.

That sux, you try to do the right thing and you get burned by g&f! I'm glad we didn't call them on the elk we found.

I have turned in several nice 320 ish bulls to game and fish. I don't think its all that big of a deal to turn them in. Sure its cool to have a few nice racks that you found but thats the end of it. I would rather have a bull that I shot and hunted with family and friends that I can look up on the wall and have fond memories of. Not that I have a problem with picking up sheds or even a rack if its within the law.

This archery season I called in a rack of a 6x6 bull with coordinates, the game warden told me if he found that the bull had died from natural causes he would gladly give me the rack. It had been shot by an archer and lost. I honestly didnt have any problem giving it up though. Granted it wasnt huge, I would say a 310-315 bull. The game warden mentioned that a few years prior a 370ish bull had been called in to him. He found that the bull was actually gored by another bull and tangled in barbed wire. The game warden called the guy up and brought the rack by to his house. I thought that was pretty neat. I realize some folks really like keeping what they find as far as racks go so to each their own.

As for a game warden now knowing your "secret spot". Please. Those guys fly the unit and are out there checking water etc more than any of us. I would imagine they have been in the area that you are hunting. Maybe I have just had really good luck with Game and Fish officers in the field. They are always really good to my family and have even spent half a day helping us track an animal. Hopefully I continue to meet nice guys out there.

My advice is just stay within the law and do the right thing because it sure isnt worth losing your license over a rack.

Does anyone know the law regarding wounded animals? I found two wounded bulls on my recent cow elk hunt and was wondering if I should finish them off or let them be. I know finishing them off would be the right thing to do but was fearing breaking the law.

My advice is just stay within the law and do the right thing because it sure isnt worth losing your license over a rack.

+1 . that's y i called them. I didn't know what's gonna happen if i take the rack. Next time I think I know what to do IF I find another one.

shoot shovel and shut up....

jk, but cover it like a mt lion would and come back in a year...

You guys are learning. If it isn't evidence of a crime, it is finders- keepers. Don't take them home until they are dry though. In case nobody told you, it is NEVER a good idea to talk to the police. Period. I was a cop for over 20 years so I speak from experience!

I have taken a lot of them home. I don't call unless someone did something bad and needs to be caught ( had a couple of USO guides that got in big trouble when I found where they had dropped 3 of them in one spot)

If there is a bullet hole in the skull, I probably wouldn't take it.

You guys are learning. If it isn't evidence of a crime, it is finders- keepers. Don't take them home until they are dry though. In case nobody told you, it is NEVER a good idea to talk to the police. Period. I was a cop for over 20 years so I speak from experience!

I have taken a lot of them home. I don't call unless someone did something bad and needs to be caught ( had a couple of USO guides that got in big trouble when I found where they had dropped 3 of them in one spot)

If there is a bullet hole in the skull, I probably wouldn't take it.

+1 I have no problem calling it in if something looks suspicious, but if nothing looks suspicious why call it in. Take it if you want it! Like said in another post (Worst elk hunt ever) The g&F is going to try to make money off of it in an auction.

Gotta love game and fish bashers. They are not trying to make money or take something from someone that they don't deserve. Its state law that if it has not died of NATURAL causes its property of the state of AZ. There has been more than one instance where people lose their license for seveal years for not having it checked out by a WM first. Why risk it?

"In case nobody told you, it is NEVER a good idea to talk to the police. Period. I was a cop for over 20 years so I speak from experience!"

Dang, that's a pretty rough statement. Not denigrating you or your experience, but lots of guys, including myself, try to keep stuff like this "above board". Personally, any time I encounter a "gray area" in the law, the FIRST thing I do is work with LEOs. Maybe I've misinterpreted, but your statement was pretty clear. Why is it not a good idea to talk to the police? If you've done nothing wrong, and have nothing to hide, it seems only logical to keep them privy. I'm just asking here. Is there some unspoken assumption of guilt when someone contacts the law?