Sign in to follow this  
mcelkhunter

My 2009 Bull Elk Hunt

I waited patiently a long time trying to draw a Bull Elk tag. After10 years I finally drew the tag I had waited for. To my surprise my son who is 15 also drew the same tag (on his first try). He had been drawn and harvested several cows during the JR hunts. Not to mention his friend who also applied for the bull tag for the first time drew the same hunt as us. Amazing!!

Anyway, as many have stated that rut was not that great, however, I really can't complain as we were in bulls virtually every day we just couldn't get them to come in to the calls and I had many very close calls. A little faster here a littler slower there and I have several shot opportunities. My son hunted the first weekend and then had to return to school. I was hopeful that I would harvest my bull before he returned the next weekend so we could hunt together some.

On Tuesday, while chasing bugles and trying to get a good set up, I had a small group of elk feed out in front me while we were still hunting through the junipers. There was a small six in the group and I decided to take a shot. I made what I believed to be a very good shot, what appeared to be right in the middle of the rib cage. I was sure I had him. One of my partners had his binos on the bull at sixty yards and saw the same shot I did so we were certain we would find this bull. Well we searched the rest of the day logging about 15 GPS miles between us in an area of about 1/2 mile and we could not find this bull. On this day the bulls in the area basically were bugling all day around us. We decided that we would search the entire day and if we did not find him I would continue my hunt the next day. We were not able to locate the bull. Needless to say, I was very disappointed, however, felt I had done all I could to locate the bull and continued the hunt the next day. Every time we returned to this area I spent a little time looking, smelling, listening for crows/coyotes but never had any luck.

That weekend my son returned and I still had not filled my tag. We hunted the next week, with my son missing two shots, one at a decent six point and another at a spike. He actually took a poor shot at the spike and hit the base of his antler. He took some good chiding from all of us in camp for that shot. I didn't have any other shot opportunities.

On the last day of the hunt, much of our help had to return home so at mid day of the last day we had three unfilled tags and two callers. We had regrouped at lunch and most of us were trying to get in a power nap before hunting the last evening. My son who slept probably more then anyone, every chance he got to catch a zz or two he took it. Anyway, this bull bugles a few times across a meadow and up on this ridge and my son is like lets go after that bull. So he and I take off after the bull and I am thinking how many times have we tried this during the hunt without luck but it was an opportunity for me to hunt with my son for the first time this trip.

We get to the top of the ridge, get the wind in our favor and we get set up for me to call for him. I put the decoy up and start calling. Right away the bull answers and then another bull answers right behind me. Well I am set up to call but not to shoot (my mistake) anyway I get an arrow ready and start calling again. I very young elk comes basically running into the call and not far behind is a small bull. The bull stops at about 40 yards, I draw my bow and release the arrow. Damned if I didn't hit a small branch about 4 feet in front of me. As it turns out this was a good thing!!

My son and I regrouped and stalk a little closer to the bull we went up there for to begin with. We set up and I start calling. The bull is still pretty responsive to the calls but won't come in. We decide to get right on top of him. My son sets up I am guessing easy within about a hundred yards of where we think he is. I get back about 50 yards and start calling again. This bull is really going nuts but still won't come. I keep working him and decide to act like the cows are moving away. I was using like three different calls trying to sound like several cows. After I back up a ways I get into a couple of young pines and do the best I can to sound like another bull raking a tree, breaking branches, etc... Well that bull came right up over the top of the ridge and my son takes a shot and I hear the bull take off down the ridge.

I go over to my son who is really excited saying he just stuck a really good bull. I ask about shot placement, etc. and he explains that he hit it a little high but right behind the shoulder and the bull was quartering to him. My first thought is we have got to find this bull or this will be like the worst hunting nightmare I have ever experienced. After we wait a while and get some help up on the ridge we start tracking the bull. No blood but pretty good tracks. At the end of the tracks we found his bull.

post-3081-1254537992_thumb.jpg

post-3081-1254538102_thumb.jpg

post-3081-1254538209_thumb.jpg

I have been asked if I am disappointed after waiting so many years for the tag and then not filling it. I have honestly answered that question like this. I have absolutely no disappointment whatsoever, other then not being able to find the bull I shot but not because I didn't fill my tag but because I shot an animal I could not harvest. My experience with my son on that afternoon will be forever with me and I am sure with him.

In the last year, I have been there with my dad when he harvested what might very well be his last bull elk and helped my son harvest his first. I am sure my day will come but if it doesn't I will have no regrets or disappointment.

I also spent over two weeks with many good friends and we had a lot of good times, good laughs, good food and cold beers! The ten year wait was every bit worth the memories that were made during this hunt!!

Awesome write up to what sounds like an awesome hunt with family and friends. Sorry to hear about the lost bull but it happens sometimes even though we don't like it.

Awesome job..... but I've got to ask, "WHY SO SERIOUS????"

+1. Where's the smiles??? :huh:

Great write up! Congrats to you and your boy!

-Tracy

QUOTE (Tines @ Oct 6 2009, 10:58 AM)

That's a good question!! Let me tell you there were a lot of smiles and some tears of joy. Not sure where the smiles went when we got around to the pictures. The only thing I can come up with is we were some pretty wore out dudes not looking forward to work ahead of us!!

I appreciate all the comments!!

Thanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :) :) :) :) :D :D :D