Sign in to follow this  
AZMEATHUNTER

JOHN'S SONS FIRST BOWKILL

my buddy john and his son mike came up to my place for the weekend to try to get mike his first javalina and first bowkill.choosing to go with his bow on his hunt rather than a rifle.well i put in a 2 weeks scouting some areas that looked promosing and consulting with "pig guru" also know as brian we came up with 2 good ground blind spots as we wanted his shot distances to be known for his first bowhunt after deciding to sit the blind we had set up on a trail leading to a creek that was being well used the night before the hunt.sat (mikes first day to hunt) found us in the blind as the sky was turning grey to orange with just a slight chill of fall in the air we were hunting an area not known for high pig #'s but is so different in terrain that few seldom hunt in the area.a good choice to reduce the chances of being "chimped" definition =people hunting off quads.we were greeted to an awesome display of fall colors as mother natures big orange heater started to warm the blind.about 2 hrs into our sit we had some deer come downwind of our blind and wind us not being to sure of what we were they just moved back to where they had come from blowing a warning for all the other creatures to hear.about 10:30 we decided to leave the blind and go look at another mid day spot.as we were telling one last "fish story" john looks out the blinds front window and whispers "pigs,pigs" we are all still sitting in our chairs but mike had put his arrow back in his quiver and i had turned my video camera off and set it on the floor of the blind and the pigs were coming in fast.mike did an awesome job on getting his arrow re nocked and his bow up i got my video camera back on and john kept us posted on the pigs progress.the first pig to come into the shooting lane was a" jurrasic sized "boar 60 plus pounder! but was facing the blind at 11 yards!!john advised mike not to draw and to wait as more and more pigs kept coming into the shooting lane.as the big bore came closer the wind was starting to swirl and he got a sniff of something he did not like and bolted into the cover along with 5 or 6 other pigs but stopped not sure of what he had just smelled. mike had drawn his bow and was at full draw not wanting the pigs to see him let down we encouraged him to stay at full draw as another boar was coming into bow range.the big boar was coming into mikes 20 yard spot we kept whispering to him to "breeeth" "breeeth" as he was getting weak from holding draw and the excitment of having wild javalinas at 11 yards.the boar stopped to have a bite to eat and we instructed mike to shoot him when he turned broadside as the pig started to turn broadside mike could no longer take it a loosed his slick trick razor trick tipped carbon arrow twards its intended target.we heard and i saw as i was filming the whole thing the arrow stirke the big boar right behind the shoulder and go rearward into the boar.the big boar let out a loud growl and crashed into a huge dead juniper expoloding the dead limbs and sending them in every direction the boar collected himself and ran twards the way he came but was visably hurting and ran from our sight.being as quite as you can be at a moment in time like we had just been blessed to be a part of. the "good jobs" "you hammerd hims" and "way to go's"and mikes "i almost peed my pants" started flying we were jacked!! we noted the time and replayed the shot and its was a "smidge" back (due the the quarting nature of the boar) but drove in 1/2 of the arrows length.as we were watching it again we heard the big boar "death moan" and knew mike had taken his first big game animal with a bow and his first arizona javalina.the big 40 lbs boar only made it 20 yards and was done.

great job mike you did an awesome job! thank you guys for letting me tag along.

mike and his first bowkill and javalina

post-2935-1255287593_thumb.jpg

mike p "pack'n out" great job kid!

post-2935-1255287418_thumb.jpg

fall colors in the creek

post-2935-1255288418_thumb.jpg

That's awesome!! Great job Mike.

If you get a chance to post a video link, please do. Sounds like some awesome footage.

Very cool. Great job, and great pig. I have a lot of respect for the kids that can wait patiently in blinds.

thanks! love to see kids get started right and keep our "heritage" alive. tired of the "salt licking debate" lets foucus on something else for a while shall we.the salt lick debate can be an off season post.lets congradulate hunters who are having succsess in the feild right now.

AZMEAT

That's awesome!! Great job Mike.

If you get a chance to post a video link, please do. Sounds like some awesome footage.

blake,

thanks! it is very good footage wish i knew how to upload it to a link but i dont....sorry

AZMEAT

AZMEAT, that was a great write up and I was getting alittle bit of buck fever just reading it. Congratulations to Mike and I hope this is just the beginning of good hunts to come for him. Congrats to all who helped. :)

TJ

AZMEAT, that was a great write up and I was getting alittle bit of buck fever just reading it. Congratulations to Mike and I hope this is just the beginning of good hunts to come for him. Congrats to all who helped. :)

TJ

TJ,

don't you mean "javi fever" lol.it was pretty intense there for a while.love bow hunting the little "stinkys" they are a kick and awesome table fare if done right.

AZ

Awesome story and great job, congrats to you Mike on a great pig! JIM>