Sign in to follow this  
mason a

my 11 year olds first couse 537 yards

Well it's been a pretty good 8 days for my son Mason jr. Last week his first elk at 580 yards and on Saturday his first deer at 537 yards with one shot through the chest.

It was a great trip because it was, 2 brother in laws , 1 nephew , and a cousin, and of course my son and me. It was to say the least, a memorable time for all of us. First day , Friday- A lot of glassing, a few naps, and quite a few deer, but the bucks were just too far, and never stopped for a good shot.

So on Saturday we had the same game plan lots of glassing from a good vantage point. Then my cousin Nathan Yetter (Who personally glassed up more deer than all of us combined),Says , I got a deer , its a buck, Mason Jr. your up. 537 yards. So my son gets positioned behind the claw on the tripod,turns the kenton turret to 537 , turns the scope up to 20 power , And quickly says i'm ready but Nathan says, not yet , I need to watch through the binos so i can see if you hit it , it's a lot smaller than your elk. Finally mason Jr. gets the go ahead, and he makes the shot , And in typical Nathan fashion, he yells, "you whacked him. he's down, great shot".

Now it's my turn, the other bucks start running , Nathan is yelling out yardages and I'm turning the turret to the correct yardage ,and I miss twice ,I really wanted to blame the gun or the distance or something ,but I didn't because I don't think my son is going to hear any excuses blaming the gun, when he had just calmly made the same shot ,so I just kept my mouth shut. But, I was sure proud of him, and his uncles were too. They were happy to take part in his first deer kill.

It was just of of those days for my son on the way out he found a dandy mnt. lion kill, you can see it tied to his back pack.

On one of the photos you can see a cone shaped steep hill, About half way up that hill is where we glass from, the shot was made from there. You can see how far it was.

post-1975-1256615653_thumb.jpg

post-1975-1256615704_thumb.jpg

post-1975-1256615731_thumb.jpg

post-1975-1256615782.jpg

post-1975-1256615842_thumb.jpg

A BIG CONGRATUALION to the 11 year old sniper :) Hey...you know ......first deer......did he drink the blood? :D

Great shot! How long did it take you to reach the deer?

The shot was almost directly straight across. So we all had to hike down the hill and back up the other side .about 300 fett down in elevation then back up almost 400 feet in elevation , it took about 20 minutes.it was steep on both sides

Great shot! How long did it take you to reach the deer?

The shot was almost directly straight across. So we all had to hike down the hill and back up the other side .about 300 fett down in elevation then back up almost 400 feet in elevation , it took about 20 minutes.it was steep on both sides

It is always easy getting up and down those steep hills when there is a critter down on the other side.

Nice shot and congratulations.