Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Sandstone and Mud

The sunny skies, 60* temperatures and full moon drew me to various destinations in Northern Arizona this weekend. With the full moon of Halloween weekend rising as the sun was setting , I hiked up to a ridge to see if the moon would rise between the spires of Cathedral Rock. That notion will have to wait a few months, but the fading sun did paint a red glow on the Sedona Rock.

CathedralRock10-31-09015.jpg

CathedralRock10-31-09054.jpg

Sunday’s destination was Lower Antelope Canyon near Page. I stopped along the way to see some of the leftover dinosaur mud of the Painted Desert.

Copy2ofAntelopeCanyonLower11-1-0902.jpg

PaintedDesert.jpg

PaintedDesertButte.jpg

Right before Page, the iconic view at Horseshoe Bend of Marble Canyon below Lake Powell beckoned. The 18-105mm lens on a crop body was not wide enough of angle, so this is a stitched panorama.

HorseshoeBendPano.jpg

Finally, the slot in the ground into Lower Antelope Canyon appeared and 3 hours were spent being swallowed in the 800 yard long slot canyon. As the 3 o’clock closing time drew near, the light became better and the purples appeared along with the previous yellows and oranges. It is surreal how the camera captures colors the eye does not see.

AntelopeCanyonLower11-1-09119.jpg

AntelopeCanyonLower11-1-09127.jpg

AntelopeCanyonLower11-1-09195.jpg

AntelopeCanyonLower11-1-09229.jpg

AntelopeCanyonLower11-1-09213.jpg

AntelopeCanyonLower11-1-09243.jpg

AntelopeCanyonLower11-1-09268.jpg

AntelopeCanyonLower11-1-09273.jpg

Doug~RR

Doug,

These are truly incredible! Very nice work.

Doug, you are one amazing guy with that camera. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us here on coueswhitetail. :)

TJ