Sign in to follow this  
Joe Kauffman

My 2009 Muley

Nice job Joe, Richard told me he found evidence of August. Cool story.

Houston

Nice buck Joe. How about the rest of your families hunts this year. I need to go over to the outback site and see if you have more hunts posted there.

Jade

Sorry guys, I've been away on my sons Coues hunt for the past few days.

My brother and I glassed this buck up bedded down at around 2pm on the second day. We knew there were some larger bucks in the area because of some experiences my brother had during this years archery season ;) . When we first spotted Mr. Second Chance, he was just over 400 yards and I knew we had plenty of time to close the gap a bit since we had a firm view of where he was and the fact that he was bedded down facing the opposite direction. It took us almost an hour to hike the canyon in between us and get up on the downwind side of him where I knew I'd be close enough for a quality shot. I made my way down the ridge, peering around each Cedar until I finally caught eye of him bedded. After a quick hit with the range finder, I setup for a 223 yard shot. My brother kindly offered his Swarovski glasses that were mounted on his tripod as a rest since it was already setup and I gladly excepted. My brother hit record on the video as I setup and with one squeeze of the trigger we had a big buck down!

After some high fives (several actually :)) we made our way down to him and talked along the way about the possibilities of him being one of the Cactus Bucks we've heard so much about. After a quick peek between the hind legs, we found that this was definately the case. During field dressing I found that all the poor old man had left was a couple kidney bean sided man hoods which most likely caused him to be in full velvet and also caused the neat kickers he has coming off the back of both sides.

There's a bit more extremely unsual parts to this story and hopefully I'll get Richard to post it up in the next day or so....but let's just say it's not the first time he's been close to one of the Kauffman boys :P .

Joe

Sorry guys, I've been away on my sons Coues hunt for the past few days.

My brother and I glassed this buck up bedded down at around 2pm on the second day. We knew there were some larger bucks in the area because of some experiences my brother had during this years archery season ;) . When we first spotted Mr. Second Chance, he was just over 400 yards and I knew we had plenty of time to close the gap a bit since we had a firm view of where he was and the fact that he was bedded down facing the opposite direction. It took us almost an hour to hike the canyon in between us and get up on the downwind side of him where I knew I'd be close enough for a quality shot. I made my way down the ridge, peering around each Cedar until I finally caught eye of him bedded. After a quick hit with the range finder, I setup for a 223 yard shot. My brother kindly offered his Swarovski glasses that were mounted on his tripod as a rest since it was already setup and I gladly excepted. My brother hit record on the video as I setup and with one squeeze of the trigger we had a big buck down!

After some high fives (several actually :)) we made our way down to him and talked along the way about the possibilities of him being one of the Cactus Bucks we've heard so much about. After a quick peek between the hind legs, we found that this was definately the case. During field dressing I found that all the poor old man had left was a couple kidney bean sided man hoods which most likely caused him to be in full velvet and also caused the neat kickers he has coming off the back of both sides.

There's a bit more extremely unsual parts to this story and hopefully I'll get Richard to post it up in the next day or so....but let's just say it's not the first time he's been close to one of the Kauffman boys :P .

Joe

Must have been a buck from the "Steroid Era" he has cajones the size of Barry Bonds. ;) Put an asterik by his name.