huntingfool

Take care of the meat guys!

I'll relate some observations about deer season so far. I've seen 3 deer hanging in camps. One I know was shot at around 8 in the morning, and when we drove thru at 2:30pm with our buck they had it hanging by the head, hide on, esophagus still in the neck, in the 70 degree desert heat. This was saturday of the nov 7th during the coues hunt in 36B. The body cavity wasn't even washed out and the blood was dried and black. Most or all of that meat must have went bad. AND during the early mule deer hunt in 36B I saw two bucks skinned and washed off, but were hanging in the mid-day heat. 11:30am and nobody was in camp. Hanging by their heads with esophaguses still in the neck. I bet all three of those deer were lost. If you don't care for the meat I bet you can find somebody who does. Shooting these animals and wasting them really bugs me. NOT calling anybody out here by the way...Anybody else see this stuff going on?

AMEN!!!!

I know it's hard work but it's all part of the kill. Pulling the trigger is the easy part. Love the rack but respect the meat. Thanks for posting very important message!!!

Jason

Saw a coues deer strapped to the roof of cherokee in New Mexico this weekend. Mid-day, dusty road, hide on, ratchet strapped to roof.

Nasty....

I thought that was bad 'till I saw three, hide on, piled in the back of a pickup at the gas station in cliff

Nastier.... <_<

I believe we should have rules similar to Alaska.

Yes and it is truly sad.

I got really upset with my Daughter and BF a couple of years ago

about getting the dang hide off sooner than they did.

Shot around 9:00, showed it to me at work around 11:30 and at 2:30

when I got to their place it was hanging but still on :angry:

First words out of my mouth were "get that flipping hide off"

After 15 minutes of BS'ing I had knife in hand and had it off and quarter

in 20 minutes and headed to the man cave to put it in the fridge.

And people wonder why they think wild game tastes gamy <_<

Care of that animal ASAP is the #1 priority after maybe 1 celebration beer

I hate traveling the back roads and see the critters hanging and know

they are rotting because of the hunters laziness or just do not understand :(

Good post and if someone just want to hunt I will take care of the meat ;)

Maybe I am the only one here, but I think the hanging, skinning, cleaning part of the hunt is usually just as fun or more fun than the actual harvest. That's the time where you get to BS with your family and/or hunting buddies and re-tell all the fun details of the harvest. All the details are usually very fresh in your mind and that makes the story telling that much more exciting.

Either way, good post. It's always good to send out a friendly reminder of just what really needs to be done after your harvest your animal.

Guest 300ultramag.

Last year my brother harvested a deer at 11 am and we were eating the back straps by 1 pm the same day and that includes an hour soaking the tenderloin in ice cold water for an hour...

This year my buddy downed a buck at 9:15 and we were eating the back straps by 10:30 and that doesnt include a 20 min wait for our pick up point from the death march..

Another reason why we usually bone the animals right there in the field. Much better in my opinion. Forces you to do the hard work right away and avoid the possibility of the laziness factor to creep in once you get back to camp.

Maybe I am the only one here, but I think the hanging, skinning, cleaning part of the hunt is usually just as fun or more fun than the actual harvest. That's the time where you get to BS with your family and/or hunting buddies and re-tell all the fun details of the harvest. All the details are usually very fresh in your mind and that makes the story telling that much more exciting.

Either way, good post. It's always good to send out a friendly reminder of just what really needs to be done after your harvest your animal.

AMEN!! I tend to be more of a meat hunter anyway but those are some of the best memories!

Yeah me too, I don't understand why people wouldn't do this. Getting bloody is the best part, it means you're gonna be eating well!

I was hunting in the same area and saw some similar things I thought it was way to hot we shot ours at 7 AM in the cooler cut up by 11. Not sure what others were thinking.

+1

I have gone to boning out the meat where the critter drops almost exclusively. Main reason is that my mentors used to drive all the way home with the critter on the hood and complained every time they ate the meat. Oh they ate it all (the grew up dirt poor) but almost to a man, they disliked venison. First time I fed venison to my dad after skinning it and cooling the meat immediately, he couldn't believe how good it tasted.

Second reason for boning out the meat on the spot is that I realized that I was hauling bones and hide back to camp for nothing. Nothing better than getting back to camp, throwing a bag full of meat and cape on ice, and opening up a cold one. I have never looked back or eaten such fine venison.

+1 on boning them out in the field. If done correctly, you'll have a pile of entrails, ribcage, backbone and hide (if no taxidermy) left out for the coyotes and ravens. I prefer to leave the bones in the hams and shoulders (gotta have a few soupbones!)

I carry a handful of homemade game sacks (look like pillow cases) and get the chunks of meat into them to cool everything down as well as keep the bugs, and debris off.

Meat gets transferred to plastic bags before going on ice. Keeping the meat dry inhibits the growth and spread of bacteria that can spoil the meat.