Sign in to follow this  
cbryant11

Any Bulls in the late archery yet?

Thanks, Red Rabbit. I've read through the recommendations as well and understand the pie allotment. It is my understanding that the allotments were already set at 30% tags going to archery (per the 5 year cycle). That being the case, I can't find the link between the weapon allocation (pie) formula and the proportionate recommended decrease in archery tags for 2010. If I read the document correctly, they're also recommending an October rifle hunt? IMO, herd objectives will trump the weapon pie allotment in the commission's eyes any day. If archers are already allocated 30% of bull tags, and the success rate is higher than expected (during the rut), herd objectives would dictate a reduction in early archery tags. That's a given. The only way to NOT deflate the overall archery allotment below 30% would be to offer an additional, less successful hunt like the Nov hunts. I don't see this commission EVER decreasing the number of rifle tags to make up for the archery rut's success rates. As terrible as it is, it looks like the number of rut archery tags will go down given their relatively high success rates, and from the beginning, I've seen this Nov archery experiment as a way of reconciling the difference between herd objectives and the weapon allotments. Barring any additional information, I don't subscribe to the theory that the Nov archery hunts were created to shift archers away from the rut. They were created to make up for shortfalls in the archery weapon allotments given the inevitable decrease in early archery tags. We're just too successful during the rut, I'm afraid. I'm not trying to lock horns with anybody here, just presenting my opinion.

This has been a well documented progression over the last five years. Back then, Leonard Ordway (game chief manager) first proposed reducing the rut hunt and and increasing the late archery bull tags in the same year. It was "proposed" to "increase hunter opportunity". Thanks to David Myrick and a few other guys, a survey was presented to G&F that showed that most bowhunters still wanted the rut hunt, and not "increased opportunity". We were able to fight off G&F that year.

But the next year, G&F came back to the table with their own loaded, bogus, confusing survey, that "indicated" that bowhunters REALLY wanted more opportunity, not so much the rut hunts. So Brian, the new game chief manager, proposed to "just try it for three years", "G&F would just give bowhunters" the late hunt tags without reducing the rut hunt tags...........FOR NOW! But in three years, after bowhunters demonstrated how they wanted more "opportunity", by putting in for the late hunts, G&F would start to reduce the rut tags because the late hunts were "popular". If they were "unpopular", meaning that very few bowhunters put in for these late hunts, G&F would eliminate the late hunts. I still remember Dick King telling Brian that "if you offer the late hunt, bad as it may be, bowhunters will still put in for the hunt", and then G&F will have the bogus affirmation that bowhunters want to give up rut tags for the late hunt.

It does look like this is happening. Bowhunters, quit putting in for these late hunts!

Mark

Bowhunters, quit putting in for these late hunts!

+1

The rest of you bow hunters stop putting in for these hunts so I can go bull hunting every year. :lol:

looks like we will have 1 more year for a rut hunt than most of the tags will go to nov. If the 3 year deal is true. This is a SAD story that will come true. I can see this now 50 permits for sept 1000 for nov.

I hunted the November archery bull hunt(2nd choice) for 9 hard days and did not score. I would rather hunt elk on a low success rate hunt than have to wait every ten tears for a tag.

It would be a sad thing for G$F to take away tags from the rut hunts and add more for a November archery hunt to create opportunity. The September hunts are the best there is, and I hope these hunts are not reduced, unless declining elk herds dictate it.

I am just as selfish as anyone when it comes to wanting a tag to go hunting, and I like the little bit of extra opportunity of the November Archery hunts as the draw odds are a little more favorable, and the hunting pressure is very low. I would hate to see the September hunts get reduced in the name of opportunity.

Even if guys like us quit putting in for these tags, someone else will gladly take our place.

Congratulations to those of you who where successfull.

if g&f gave permits to hunt elk in July in Yuma, guys would put in for them.

Just remember. We are going to loose more tags to hunt the rut. If they take 100 tags from the rut they can double them and make 200 tags for nov hunts. Remember when this happens this will no longer be a hunt like now when there is lack of hunters. It will be like all the mass of rifle deer tags we have seen over the last few years. Hunters everywere with a very low success. today we have 25 tags for each unit. :( in 2 years there will be 250 tags in each unit for the Nov. hunt. This will now be a 3-5 year wait to hunt a horrible hunt and now a 10-12 year wait to hunt the rut due to 1/2 of the tags being reassigned to the nov. time.

Guys just look at all the december whitetail hunts we have lost and now we have 3 hunts with mass hunters in all our awesome coues country..................

When this happens don't sit here and wine and cry. you had the chance to let G&F know how you feel.

The good news is G &F is awesome to let us send letters and show up at these meetings and listen to the paying customer..

Let your voices be heard! ;)

if g&f gave permits to hunt elk in July in Yuma, guys would put in for them.

Just remember. We are going to loose more tags to hunt the rut. If they take 100 tags from the rut they can double them and make 200 tags for nov hunts. Remember when this happens this will no longer be a hunt like now when there is lack of hunters. It will be like all the mass of rifle deer tags we have seen over the last few years. Hunters everywere with a very low success. today we have 25 tags for each unit. :( in 2 years there will be 250 tags in each unit for the Nov. hunt. This will now be a 3-5 year wait to hunt a horrible hunt and now a 10-12 year wait to hunt the rut due to 1/2 of the tags being reassigned to the nov. time.

Guys just look at all the december whitetail hunts we have lost and now we have 3 hunts with mass hunters in all our awesome coues country..................

When this happens don't sit here and wine and cry. you had the chance to let G&F know how you feel.

The good news is G &F is awesome to let us send letters and show up at these meetings and listen to the paying customer..

Let your voices be heard! ;)

well i have an average of 13 years to draw a tag so as long as i dont have to wait 26 to draw a rut tag then i will still keep putting in for it

well i have an average of 13 years to draw a tag so as long as i dont have to wait 26 to draw a rut tag then i will still keep putting in for it

Your Avatar says it all.

Good luck next year ;)

Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

Tough, very tough!! Bad weather first weekend helped spot and stalk but shut down movement to water for a few days.

post-976-1259721760.jpg

Tough, very tough!! Bad weather first weekend helped spot and stalk but shut down movement to water for a few days.

Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 800 ] - Click to view full image

Attached Image

What broad head did you use? I lost a bull few years back with that shot.