Sign in to follow this  
25-06

Fire in 34A

I was down in Green Valley this mornin and noticed there's a fire up in the Santa Ritas. It looks like its just east of Madera Canyon. The news this mornin didn't mention squat about this fire...I hope it doesn't get way outta control.

I saw the flames go over a ridge from the eastside of Tucson tonight. They seem to be going from Sky Island to Sky Island. The Catalinas 2 years ago, Mt. Graham last year, and now the Santa Ritas.

Deer will move right back into an area relatively soon after it burns. Especially if there is some rain to get some new growth started. Plus, a lot of times a fire will skip over the top of draws and canyons, burning the ridge tops, but leaving good cover in bottoms. Deer love those areas.

34A is a big unit and this fire is in an area that is difficult to hunt anyway. If I were hunting 34A, I would look into hunting the coal mine canyon property that was recently purchased by the state. The whole lower Sonoita creek area should be good too since it was closed to motor vehicles several years ago.

Fire is good. It will thin out a bunch of stupid pine, fir, catclaw and manzanita trees. The only thing that crap is good for is hiding lions and blocking out my view while I am trying to glass deer up and shoot them. The year unit 33 burned, we killed deer in the burn on the Oct hunt in areas that had not been glassable for 20 years.

Bret M.

Bret,

I will have to agree with about fire being good. Especially this type, lightning caused. Ma Nature is doing her job cleaning up.

The ones that get me are like the Aspen Fire, someone being careless. A couple weeks ago I was up at Rose Canyon with my son and we were eating lunch in the campground there and the site next to us had a smoldering fire. Nobody there. Some people just don't get it I guess.

Man I was shocked as to how much the fire had grown in just 1 or 2 days!!

The fire seems to be burn to the north-northwest, but that is from what can be seen here from Tucson.

;)

Sawmill Canyon burned :D 34A was my 2nd choice for deer this year...I just hope the fire burns all the trash the illegal aliens have left behind over the years...

my brother is the fire manager in the santa ritas for the FS and that was his biggest worry.to have a fire up in the timber where it hasn't burned in over a hundred years. there's so much fuel up there that it won't be put out till the monsoons kick in full force.

wade