Hey guys I was looking at two awesome guns the other day that I just want to get i just dont know if they are too much for mule deer. Anyways the first and most favorite is a savage 110 with a muzzle break in a .300 win mag and the next rifle was a howa 1500 7mm rem. magnum. Both are just awesome guns but I dont know if they are overkill mule deer/coues. Do any of you guys use these rounds for deer if so how does it perform is too much or are they great rounds.

I shoot everything with my 7mag. I love it. The 300 mag is about the same round IMHO. Really not much difference except .016. I never understood the concept of overkill! Can an animal you are harvesting be OVER DEAD. Has a Coues exploded into little pieces when shot with a 300 mag? I have never witnessed an "overkill" on any big game animal and i have seen them shot with much hotter or bigger rounds then these rifles. This right rifle for the right animal arguments is just an excuse to put a bunch of rifles in the safe. Go with the gun you fancy the most. They both sound great.

Bob

PS. I can still picture your great deer this year. That thing is beyond nice.

Coues don't take a lot of killing. That said, shooting extended ranges is what can be required. I shot my deer this year at 402 yards with a 300 win mag and never felt over gunned. Whatever shoots accurate is what is needed.

I killed my first deer wth 30-06 and since have used .270 and 300 weatherby(3 great calibers ) , last year I bought 7 rem mag and have taken 3 deer with it . I like it more than I want to admit . Model 700 adl synthetic stock 26 in barrel . C(cough)abelas has 'em on sale right now with stainless and synthetic .

Coues don't take a lot of killing. That said, shooting extended ranges is what can be required. I shot my deer this year at 402 yards with a 300 win mag and never felt over gunned. Whatever shoots accurate is what is needed.

+1

I like em both and have shot both calibers. Accuracy is what is needed, I think you would be happy with either

You can't go wrong with either. As Bobbyo said, there is only one degree of dead.

That said, the 7mm Rem Mag is my favorite caliber for just about everything.

Bill Quimby

I'll sweeten it up for you. Have you shoot them? Because while both are manageable for recoil, the 300 does kick a bit more but hits harder, drops more at long ranges. I know you said it had a break on it which can be gotten for the 7mm also. Both have a wide range of bullet weights, makes and types. Neither will do you wrong. 7mm is a flater shooting gun with a little less kick. Anything in Arizona will drop from either round. They are both good for Elk also. (CHEVY vs FORD)

I was reading a magazine this week where the author listed a multitude of guns but his pick as the best all around gun for north American game was anything in 300 mag.

That said he preferred to shoot .270 and .308 but personal sentiment aside he said 300 mags, (Win mag, Ultra, Weatherby or H&H) had the best range, knockdown, trajectory and flexibility in bullet choices factory or reloads.

One of the last things he said was the gun, ammunition, optics and hunter all must work together so just owning the equipment won't help if you don't go out and practice a lot with it.

Food for thought (appetizer before the turkey)

CouesArcher

Neither of those guns is too much for mulies. I have taken a mule deer doe with my 300 win mag, never even thought twice about it. Something to keep in mind about the one you found though is that while having a muzzle brake will reduce felt recoil, the first time you fire it without earplugs will likely be the last. However, you can learn how to switch out barrels on the savages, set the headspacing, and presto, you have a new gun. Downside is having to rezero your scope after every change. At about $200 a barrel though, it's much easier to persuade your other half then buying a whole new rifle. No experience with the Howa so I won't comment either way.

As for the chamberings, everyone else said it true. Apples and Oranges. Chevy or Ford. Dem or Rep. With the same weight bullet, a 7mm will have a higher bc and therefore be flatter shooting. But with the 300 you have a higher end weight range of bullets to choose from. Do you want a little a round that shoots a hair flatter or a hits a smidge harder?

Another question to consider, is weather this will be a dedicated mulie gun, or will you use it for elk, bear antelope, coues, coyotes, etc.... That brings alot more into consideration.

Both calibers are good IMO and the guns you are looking at are as well. The 300 is becoming pretty popular in my hunting circles these days, but I would give my choice to the 7mm. I have one and love it for coues deer, mule deer and elk. Different grains avaiable for different game. I was once told mine was over kill for a deer, but after several success with the caliber I think it is the best choice out there for an all around rifle and really great on deer.

7mm bullets are more aerodynamic than 30 caliber bullets.

Bill

Not a more true statement than bills. Over all 7mm is a better round for long range. It all depends on the bullet you are shooting. A .300 is still a great choice. I have .300 wsm i load with 150gr accubonds and love it. I shot a 95 incher with it on Saturday.

Guys the situation I'am in is I want a heavy barreled rifle but I cant seem to find one in 7mm rem mag but i can find one in a .300 win mag. So I think I'am going to go with the savage.