Guys the situation I'am in is I want a heavy barreled rifle but I cant seem to find one in 7mm rem mag but i can find one in a .300 win mag. So I think I'am going to go with the savage.

Nothing wrong with the 110 or 300 win but I got

to ask why you want heavy barrel for hunting rifle ?

If a heavy barrel is that important to, I think the calibers are close enough you will be satisfied with the .300 even though the 7mm is a shade better. I get plenty of range out of my .300 wsm and sometimes wish the barrel on my gun was at least a med.

where you guys get the info that the 7 mag is faster and flatter than a .300 win mag? as far as pure balistics, the .300 is a fair amount superior to the 7 mag. and you can get bullets with incredible BC's. one thing you seldom see in a real live target rifle is a 7mm, in any configuration. these days they're almost all either .308 or .264 diameter, with whatever cartridge is popular behind it. a buncha you guys are gonna freak when i say this, but anytime you have similar sized cartridges with different diameter bullets, the bigger bore is gonna outrun the smaller one. it all comes down to how much bullet is in the lands and the pressure build up associated with the smaller diameter bullets. a .300 win mag holds about 10 more grains of powder and has a significantly larger bore than a 7 mag. the .300 is gonna shoot bigger bullets faster and flatter than the 7 mag. in like sized bullets, it's gonna be a lot faster. BC's won't be the same, but BC don't mean a lot until you get out to about 500 yards anyway. and they make .308's with super BC's. absolutely nothing wrong with a 7mag. it has done incredible things for almost 50 years. extremely popular cartridge and rightly so, but it is a wrung or 2 down the ladder from a .300 winchester or weatherby. Lark.

Go with 7mm Ultra Mag or a personal favorite the 300 Remington Ultra Mag!

Lark is dead on regarding the ballistic performance between the two cartridges.... In my rifles (one winchester 70 and one remington 700, both sporting 24" shilen tubes), I am getting 3250 fps with a 165 gr. bullet in the 300 Win. and 3165fps with a 140 gr bullet in the 7mm mag. That being said, there is a noticable difference in recoil. the 7mm Rem. is much easier on my shoulder. I know stock design is a major factor in felt recoil. Both of my rifles have Mcmillan stocks duplicating the shape of the factory offerings.

Regardless, both will kill deer and elk out as far as you can be accurate.

If'n it were my decision, I'd be all over the 7mm. the savage is a good rifle, but i like the "feel" of howa 1500s a bit more... Plus I am not a big fan of muzzlebrakes or toting around more weight (hvy barrels) than I need.

If you compare similar bullets in the 7RM and 300WM, they are very similar in flight.

The 160gr 7mm Acccubond and the 180gr 308 Accubond have reasonably close sectional densities, construction, shape, BC for comparison sakes. You can compare on the federal ammo site and see that they have nearly identical drop, drift and retained velocity at 500 yards. The 300 WM has a bit more retained E due to the increased mass.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

As noted before the 7RM will have less recoil.

The 7mm bullets do have a LR advantage to the 30 cal bullets regarding BC vs Weight vs Recoil

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_...fullVersion.pdf

If you are willing to have the recoil of a 300WM, I would then suggest the 7RUM (Remington Ultra Mag).

The 9 pound 300WM rifle with a 180gr bullet, 73gr powder at 3100fps will generate 28.6 ft lbs recoil.

The 9 pound 7 RUM rifle with a 150 gr bullet, 88 gr powder at 3300fps will generate 29.1 ft lbs recoil. A 160 gr bulllet will generate about 29.3 ft lbs.

I doubt you will notice the extra 0.5 ft lbs, but the 7 RUM will be noticeably flatter with more E.

The Rem 700 Sendero is good accurate off-the-shelf rifle.

just saw a stainless model 700, synthetic stock, 7mm ultra mag with a buttis variable and leupold rings for $595 at teh gunshow. somebody best get down there and get it. i thought about it, but i was lookin' for pistols and plinkers today. Lark.