Sign in to follow this  
Kaffer62

Unit 9 Bull Elk

Had a rifle Bull elk tag in unit 9 and was able to fill my tag on the 2nd to last day. It was super windy for most of the hunt. We glassed up a really nice bull and a smaller raghorn on opening morning but were unable to seal the deal. We hunted hard for the rest of the hunt trying to get on as much elk as possible... On Weds we got to our glassing spot before dark. Right at 1st light my dad spotted some cows and as we were watching them, I could hear something walking in the junipers to my left. As I looked in that direction, I saw a bull. I got set up and took a shot, somehow missing him. He stood there and I jacked in another round this time hitting him and sitting him right down. We could see him laying down with his head resting on his side. We decieded to give him time just to be on the safe side.... As I made my way down this finger to where my bull laid, I got within 15 ft of him and he bolted out acting like he wasnt even hurt.... as he came up the other side of the draw I was able to put another round in him. We got home on thursday afternoon and started butchering him up and putting him away. This is my 2nd Bull, and my largest (only) spike to date.. :D

This had to have been one of the most memorable hunts I have had, and one that I will remember for all time. It was only my dad and I the whole time. We truley had a great week and would have been great even if my tag went unfilled. I apologize about the pics.. as soon as I turned on my camera, the batteries went dead and I didnt have any others, So thankfully the cell phone was on me.

I have already made a roast and man oh man is it good!!

post-252-1260134989.jpg

post-252-1260135000.jpg

Congratulations on your bull and to be able to share it with your Dad is the icing on the cake right there. I hope you and Dad have many hunts in the future and enjoy some good eating and give thanks to the Hunting Gods. :)

TJ

Congrats on some trophy tablefare and good time spent with your Dad.

In field dressing/processing your bull, where did the initial shot impact that knocked him down, tissue damage and bullet performance.

Doug~RR

sure thing Andy! we already have some chili con carne made up from him as well....the first shot hit him in the chest. there wasnt a whole lot of damage done to the meat in that area.