Sign in to follow this  
TAM

It's Game Time!

Glad you guys had a great time. What an amazing story of the lions and javelina. I am amazed the javelina chased the lion up a tree the first time. Pretty tough critter. I can imagine that was a really amazing set of events to watch!

Amanda

I had already killed my deer and did not have a rifle with me. The rancher had given us permission and even said he preferred that we kill any lions if we saw them as the ranch was over populated with lions. If I would have had my rifle, after the show, I would have gotten a little closer and tried to kill a lion. I'm sure the ranchers hands would have appreciated the meat as would I have. I've always been intrigued with lions and respect and love watching them, but I've also always wanting to harvest one. Tim did not feel like shooting them and would not allow me to use his gun which I respect. Plus, that would have taken up valuable time that he had to hunt without my help in glassing. That was his personal opinion and there is nothing wrong with the tender-hearted. Tim has always been a little on the feminine side. lol j/k Tim.

Please don't make this post into a "Why didn't you kill the lions post".

thx,

Mike

Wow guys what and amazing and cool event you guys got to see. I bet your jaws where on the ground! Thanks for sharing that great experience and hopefully we get to see that video soon.

Mike, congrtulations on your buck, very simetrical. How far was the shot?

Ernesto C

I had already killed my deer and did not have a rifle with me. The rancher had given us permission and even said he preferred that we kill any lions if we saw them as the ranch was over populated with lions. If I would have had my rifle, after the show, I would have gotten a little closer and tried to kill a lion. I'm sure the ranchers hands would have appreciated the meat as would I have. I've always been intrigued with lions and respect and love watching them, but I've also always wanting to harvest one. Tim did not feel like shooting them and would not allow me to use his gun which I respect. Plus, that would have taken up valuable time that he had to hunt without my help in glassing. That was his personal opinion and there is nothing wrong with the tender-hearted. Tim has always been a little on the feminine side. lol j/k Tim.

thx,

Mike

Mike is almost right on with his post... Yes the rancher gave us permission to shoot lions, but I've never heard him say the ranch is "over populated" with lions. I've killed a couple lions with Randy Epperson in Arizona and didn't feel like killing a female or one of her kittens. I was there to hunt deer, and besides we didn't have lion tags!

I agree... lets not make this a shoot the lions post. It was my decision and I chose not to. Thx!

For being so feminine I sure helped Mike drag his buck a long way :)

As for the video, I have 18 minutes loaded on my laptop. I have no idea how to post it, and I'm pretty sure the file is way to large to email to someone and have them post it for me. Sorry, but I think you will just have to use your imagination!

Congrats on a nice buck Mike and also to Gail! Happy you guys had a good trip and I can't wait for the next one!

Thanks Phil.

And for the record these "Kittens" were larger kittens and were the same size as their mother.

thx,

Mike

Definitely not my intention, just making a joke ;)

Congrats on a great hunt.

I guess I'll make a small post about my harvest of the 90" buck.. The 2nd night Tim and I decided to hunt an area the ranchers had told us a big buck was hanging out in. It was also an area Phil had gotten some video of a couple of good bucks in. It was around 4pm when I spotted this buck and instantly thought "this might be the big one the ranchers were talking about!" Soon thereafter I could tell it was a decent buck but not going to hit that 100" mark I was after. I felt guilty for coming to Mexico due to my economic situation, and the days were extremely hot with little to no movement from these bucks so I decided I was going to go after this buck as I love stalking and harvesting any buck despite the size.

It took me a while to cross several small ridges and canyons as I'm guessing the buck was over 1 mile away. The country looked a little different when I got closer than it looked from where we were glassing. The whole time I was hiking towards the buck I'd ask Tim if he could see him and Tim would always respond, " I don't see them anymore" I figured they were probably still in the thick oaks so I kept going even though light was fading fast. Just as I was almost to a spot I was thinking of shooting from, Tim talked through the radio saying, "Mike, I see him..he came out in the exact same spot we saw him at". I put up my 8*43's and realized that my angle might be too low and that the ridge in front of me might be blocking my view. A doe had spooked from the sound of my radio and she was moving towards the location of this buck and his friend, a spike. I quickly walked up this steep slope so I could get a higher vantage point and get a shot at this buck. There were three white rocks the buck had been close to and Tim suddenly buzzed on the radio saying the bucks are alert and may spook. He said they were moving and the big one should pass between the two smaller white rocks. Right then I pulled out my bipod and looked through my scope which was only on 5 power. I immediately found my buck walking in between these two rocks. As I placed my crosshairs just on top of the bucks back I started to shake!! I couldn't believe it!! This hadn't happened for years!! My first shot went high I believe and the buck started running...my second shot missed and on the third shot he was facing away from me. I concentrated and put my crosshairs just above his hind end and squeezed the trigger and heard that awesome THUD. Tim spoke saying he was down and to put another one in him. I couldn't find him from my vantage point so I had to cross a canyon and come up on the other side. I was really feeling nautious and fatigued and started feeling like I was going to pass out as Tim shouted some (what he thought were motivational words) to get me moving faster. It was getting dark fast and I figured he was gut shot. Finally I made it to where the buck was and spotted him 20 yds away staring right at me. I put up my gun, shot and completely missed him!!!! I could not believe it!!! I missed this buck at 20 yards??? The buck got up and ran down the hill. Now it was completely dark... I put my headlight on and started walking down towards where the buck went hoping to catch his eyes... Luck was with me and I saw his eyes. I looked through me scope and aimed low and to the right of his eyes and shot. I hit him through the neck and now he was paralyzed. I ran up to him and shot him again through the lungs grateful to finally put an end to his misery.

I'm not proud of the way things went as I hate wounding game and especially make them suffer longer than need be. Next time I will not take the shot until I'm breathing well and collected.

Mike

Congrats again Mike on your nice buck man. We all had a great time together. Total bummer we couldn't have overlapped our hunt with Phil's for a couple days though. Maybe next time....

Here's some photos of Gail's buck. It's got 18" beams and an inside spread of 15" and grossed 105 1/2". Gail saw the buck towards the end of the 1st day we were hunting and decided it looked good enough to him and took the shot. First shot missed and it let him take another which connected perfectly. It got dark quickly and Gail couldn't find the buck, let alone the exact place he thought the buck was standing when he got over there. Next morning Gail found the buck about 40 yards or so just down the slope from where he'd hit it. Somersaulted into a big bush and that was it. What a relief to find the buck so quickly! We then spent a half hour or so taking pics so enjoy them......

post-3-1261635245_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261635434_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261635557_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Phil for letting us use his Prowler after he left. Good grief that thing is SWEET!!

Back at the Prowler with the buck loaded taking a rest. It was a NASTY steep climb to get the trail about 200 yards above where the buck died but we finally got it done then dragged it about 300 yards to the bike from there.

post-3-1261635666_thumb.jpg

A couple more pics of the country we got to enjoy for a few days.

post-3-1261635921_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261635956_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261637323_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261637394_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261637465_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261637574_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261637614_thumb.jpg

post-3-1261637696_thumb.jpg

And a shed I glassed up but never went to get.

post-3-1261636088_thumb.jpg

Here's a much better picture of the giant 60" shed that Tim is holding.

post-3-1261639732_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you guys had a great hunt and experience. Not sure here what an "adult" kitten is. That would be like saying an adult pre schooler. I for one appreciate guys like Tim. Nice buck Gail!!!!

Very cool story Josh with really nice pictures. Good looking country down there. How about you Josh? are you going back later on or where's your deer?

Ernesto C

thx,

Mike

Mike is almost right on with his post... Yes the rancher gave us permission to shoot lions, but I've never heard him say the ranch is "over populated" with lions. I've killed a couple lions with Randy Epperson in Arizona and didn't feel like killing a female or one of her kittens. I was there to hunt deer, and besides we didn't have lion tags!

I agree... lets not make this a shoot the lions post. It was my decision and I chose not to. Thx!

For being so feminine I sure helped Mike drag his buck a long way :)

As for the video, I have 18 minutes loaded on my laptop. I have no idea how to post it, and I'm pretty sure the file is way to large to email to someone and have them post it for me. Sorry, but I think you will just have to use your imagination!

If you send me the video on DVD, I can post it for you.

Amanda