Sign in to follow this  
TAM

It's Game Time!

Amanda, PM me your address and I'll get it to you on a DVD. I'm going back to the ranch the day after Christmas so I may not have time to do it between now and then. But for sure once I get back. I'm not sure if you have the ability to edit the video, but it is rough in places and could use some cutting. Thank you!

Mike, I'm sure there are several ways I could do it, but I just don't have the time or desire to try and figure it all out right now.

It is pretty neat to watch and I hope Amanda can get it posted to the site.

Great pictures Josh and congrats again to Gail on a great buck! I am happy that it worked out so that you guys were able to make use of the prowler, I know that it can come in handy. ;) Also happy that Gail and Mike were able to tag out on nice bucks considering the limited amount of time they had.

Tim, Jim, and I are headed back the day after Christmas so we'll see what happens but maybe we'll have a trip in January that will overlap, that would be a hoot!

Ernesto,

Josh didn't find one big enough yet and since he left a bunch of his stuff down there he can't make any excuses not to go back!

Phil,

Good luck! I am making a quick trip on the 26th -27th also, mainly to put cameras up and cut a road into an area but we'll do a little glassing mornings and evenings. Last year it wasn't good in there until the middle of January so not expecting much this trip. Always good just to be down there though. Travel safe and keep us updated!

Phil,

Good luck! I am making a quick trip on the 26th -27th also, mainly to put cameras up and cut a road into an area but we'll do a little glassing mornings and evenings. Last year it wasn't good in there until the middle of January so not expecting much this trip. Always good just to be down there though. Travel safe and keep us updated!

Cade,

Thanks buddy and you travel safe as well. It will be interesteing to see what's shaking and what you get on the T.C.'s, maybe another slammer or two I hope. Good luck!

I'm still not expecting the rut to be in full swing but last year it seemed that I was there before and after without hitting the rut at all......not going to let that happen this year!

Jim or I will give you a shout when we get back.

Phil,

Good luck, and be safe.

Tag a gagger.

As always, give my best to Jimmy.

I'm living through you guys this year ya know!!

Phil,

You are very smart to make sure you hit all the times. Sometimes those big guys can be real finicky.......interested one day, uninterested the next.......kind of like some old girlfriends I use to have LOL. That country where you're at looks beautiful and I have no doubt you guys will turn up some great bucks and have a good time doing it (most important). So much fun!

Right On Guys!!!

Sounded like a great time!! Congrats on the nice bucks!!

Tim- I teared up a little when I read what you wrote. A whitetail hunter letting a lion walk? What? I still can't believe it. HA HA.

Merry Christmas to all!!

Well the second trip, even though it was a quick one, came and went and we had another great time. We still are not seeing any rut activity to speak of yet and are expecting it to hit sometime mid to late January. The number of deer spotted was a little less then expected but still not to bad with 15 to 30 per day.

On the second morning I had an opportunity at a very good buck but wasn't able to make it happen either because of hitting an ocotillo in the bullet's path or simply missing cleanly, of the two I am still not sure which. :( I have been asked by everyone what I thought the buck would score and all I keep telling them is I couldn't honestly tell you. It all happened very fast as I walked up on the buck and his smaller buddy while I was side hilling around a little butte that I wanted to glass from. The buck was big and didn't need to have a score added up for me to know that he was a shooter. I tried to sneak a bullet through some really thick brush and wasn't able to do it so off the buck went......all I can say is that he will haunt my dreams for quite a while. I spent the next two days camped out looking for this buck but to no avail.

Even with the missed shot Tim, Jim, and I all had a great time. Tim and I both passed on some nice bucks hoping that the rut will bring out some monsters or maybe give us a chance to relocate the buck that I missed.

Great country, great company, and great food! What more could you ask for. I am hoping that my work schedule will allow me to head back down with Tim and Josh in a couple of weeks to try again.

Here are a couple videos of some bucks that I glassed up while looking for Mr. Big.

Mr. Crabs 1

Mr. Crabs 2

Thin and Narrow

Great country, great comapny, and great food sums it up pretty well Phil :) It's hard not to have a great time when you've got those three things going for you.

All though the deer are not rutting yet there were some signs that things may be getting started soon. I did notice that a few bucks were starting to show some interest in the does. The weather on this trip was also probably 10 degrees cooler than the week before. It's just a matter of time!

I can't wait to get down there during prime time!

Here's a picture of a young buck with good potential that I passed up at 252 yards. I glassed him up from about 900 yards away and watched him bed. Since it was the middle of the day I decided to sneak in and take a closer look. In another couple years I think he'll be a real bruiser!

post-25-1262306997_thumb.jpg

As always great report back guys.

Best of luck to you Gents on your final trip.

Sucks you missed that buck Phil. If you decided to take him at one glance, I bet he was a looker.

Phil, Tim, it looks to me you will have no problem bringing some "muy grandes" back. Good report, thanks.

Ernesto C

Well... Josh and I are heading out tonight for our final trip to Mexico. We'll come back across the border on the 19th and with a little luck and hopefully some rut activity we'll have some good news to report back. Phil and Jim are down there right now and hopefully they'll get another opportunity at the good buck that Phil missed after Christmas. Who knows, maybe he'll be hanging in camp when we pull in :)

Keep your fingers crossed!

Jim and I went back down for a few days before Josh, Tim, and Keven arrived.

We still didn't see much rut activity but we did see a couple of really nice bucks with one of them being what I believe is the same buck that I missed the last trip. We were able to hunt a day and a half with another hunter named Ron Wheeler and he had been hunting a really nice drop tine buck that Tim would later see as well. After Ron left we were able to spend another day and a half with Tim and the guys.

Ron and I looking for the big buck.

DSC_5868.jpg

Tim and I getting back to the Prowler after an eventful morning.

BacktotheProwler_122909_0081.jpg

I didn't end up taking a buck and I don't believe I'll be able to go back down this season but with the group of people we were able to share camp with this year it was still one of my most memorable hunts yet. I will tell you there were some other bucks taken besides Keven's which you can read about here.

Keven's Story

Video of Keven's buck.

And I have some more video to share when those stories get posted.

Overall it was a great hunt on a nice ranch, I am somewhat dissappointed in the amount of deer seen and the amount of big bucks but that's why its called hunting. I had plenty of opportunities on nice deer and missed the big buck and also missed a nice buck on the last day that I was able to hunt.

Video of big buck which I believe to be the same buck that I missed in December.

I'll post the video of the buck that I missed the last morning after another member posts his hunt story because he ended up taking him. Great season, great people, in great country!

One last picture to share of Josh and Tim headed out one morning.

DSC_58761.jpg