Sign in to follow this  
jakehaffey

Vortex

I have a pair of 8x42 vipers that I like just as well as my 8x32 EL's. That is not a totally fair comparison, but if I needed another pair of binos I would go with the Vortex. Shayne

I have a pair of the Diamondback 10x42 and they suck.

If there is anyone in your family that you don't really care for, I suggest getting them a pair for Christmas.

I have a pair of the Diamondback 10x42 and they suck.

If there is anyone in your family that you don't really care for, I suggest getting them a pair for Christmas.

HAHA! Thats fricken hilarious man! I think that will answer his question!

The Vortex bino's are good when you get into the higher end like the vipers, razors and kaibab's. Just like anything else you get what you pay for.

Have some 15x50 Vipers and they are not too bad . Theyre not as clear as my 10x42 EL's but a decent middle of the road pair for someone who cant afford the higher end stuff.

Vortex 15X56 are great. I found over 25 bulls on my hunt with them. Like someone said earlier the higher end of Vortex are great.

The Kaibabs go narrower than the SLC's I have narrow set eyes and i love my Kaibabs.

I have both Swarovski and Vortex. My Vortex are the cheaper ones - Diamondback I think. I bought them for my kids to use and just to stick in the center console of my truck or take to football games. I have to disagree with the assessment that the Vortex Diamondbacks suck. No - they are absolutely not in the same realm as anything in the big 3 (Swaro, Leica and Zeiss) BUT they are far better than anything else in their price range.

There are very few binoculars under $500 I would consider "suitable" for western hunting, and that includes the major brands like Pentax, Leupold, Nikon - all great optics manufacturers - not to mention all the Bushnell, Simmons, etc.

I've wasted a lot of money on "economic" glass over the years, but dollar for dollar, I have found the Vortex - even the cheaper lines - to be quality, "usable" glass. Great optics are very expensive. I have always told people to steer clear of ANY lower priced optics because they are generally garbage. That said, I believe Vortex offers some very good optics for a reasonable price. A pair of Diamondback 10x42s runs about $230 retail, and there is nothing else in that price range I would even consider buying or recommend to a friend looking for inexpensive optics. But I would recommend the Vortex to anyone who wants quality glass and can't justify the cost of the premium brands.

Just my $.02

This is just my opinion and I'm am no expert and never will claim to be one....I have a pair of the Kaibab 15x56s and my brother has a pair of the Swarovski 15x56s. There is a difference between them, but for me I couldn't tell you exactly what it is and I couldn't see spending the extra change for such a small difference. That's just me. I think the two are really close. The Swarovski's don't fit me as well as the Vortex do either.

One thing I do like about Vortex is the warranty. On my last scouting trip my left foot found some ice on a rock face. I was carrying my binoculars in front of me. Ice + gravity = me on my face on the rocks. My binoculars cushioned my fall. They were damaged. I contacted Vortex and they will repair/replace them no questions asked. Their warranty is also transferrable.

The Kiababs are narrower than the Swaros. I have issues with the Swaro for the narrow eyes but not bad enough I cant use them. A friend has both pairs and the Kiabab were more comfortable for me to glass with. I found the optics comparible. Swaros were slightly better but very little difference.

Compairing a Vortex binocular to an "Alpha Glass" is like saying a Honda is the same as a Mercedes... Both will get you to the grocery store, but the engineering and materials used are of a higher quality in the Mercedes. That is why it costs multiple times as much... in optics, as life you get what you pay for. D.D.

P.S. Maybe cars are not the best compairson... I have great respect for the Japanise auto makers... much more than the optics makers!

having had the opportunity to look through most big name optics (Swaro, Zeiss. Leica, Schmidt and Bender, Night Force, Leupold etc. etc.) in the field and comparing the Vortex Kiabab 15x56 to my Swarovski 15x56 on tripods next to each other looking at the same mountain at the same time I would have to say the Vortex Kiabab's are great bino's. They are lighter, the clarity and light gathering capability are to close to compare and the price is fantastic. Some say you get what you pay for, I believe if you can find a relatively new company with a good product you can get a high quality product before it becomes popular and the price goes way up. There is no substitue for quality optics and I think the Kiababs fit the bill. Just my opinion.