Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

White deer of Wisconsin

A family friend of ours has a farm up there, he's got a great white buck he's been watching for a few years. (I'll ask permission to post a pic)

T

What a beautiful animal. I'm glad they are protected. Thanks for sharing Amanda. :)

TJ

That's awesome! It raises some interesting evolutionary questions. One one hand you have questions of natural selection like does being white confer an advantage over being brown when it comes to evading predators in winter and if so, does that overcome the potential disadvantages of being white when it comes to evading predators the other 9+ months of the year? (I would think not or else the majority of whitetails in northern latitudes would already be white, but, I'm no scientist.) Then on the other hand unnatural, human selection appears to be occuring by providing food for poulations of white deer and making illegal to kill them. Interesting, indeed.

Irrespective of that, they are very cool looking.

These deer are not being selected based on any competitive advantage; Albinism is a disorder that comes with alot of other genetic damage and risk of illness and disease.

The increasing population of these deer is probably due to the fact that they are not being selected (i.e. killed) by natural predators (wolves or lions), or human hunters.

That's awesome! It raises some interesting evolutionary questions. One one hand you have questions of natural selection like does being white confer an advantage over being brown when it comes to evading predators in winter and if so, does that overcome the potential disadvantages of being white when it comes to evading predators the other 9+ months of the year? (I would think not or else the majority of whitetails in northern latitudes would already be white, but, I'm no scientist.) Then on the other hand unnatural, human selection appears to be occuring by providing food for poulations of white deer and making illegal to kill them. Interesting, indeed.

Irrespective of that, they are very cool looking.