Sign in to follow this  
Tines

WT in the snow

My brother and I both drew December tags this year in different units. Because of my own hunt, I wasn't abe to get out at all with him. Our older brother and my dad went out with David when they could. Dave passed up many buck and it always seemed that his days off landed on the days that the storms were bowing in. That always sucks! Finally I had a day off and Dave kindly asked my wife if I could join him for his last day.....

Dave and I made it out on Monday..... only to find the wind blowing pretty hard- go figure! We made it to our glassing point and it was sooo cool- snow everywhere in the bowl we were to glass! This is always such a rare sight in Southern AZ so it's always nice to take advantage of it.

The morning started out a little slow when I found a bedded deer right in the snow. I couldn't tell what it was but a doe about 10yds away caught my eye. The body looked like a mature deer so we just watched. Finally he turned his head and we saw that he was a good 3x3 with a cool little sticker.......especially for a last day. Shorty after that the buck stood up and chased the doe around for a bit.

In the mean time, another buck started working his way over to them. The 3x3 didn't care much for the wide 2 point being around so he kept chasing him off. In the mean time Dave and I take off to close the distance. We got set up and it didn't take long to find the buck chasing the doe. We could have easily taken the 2 point (he was REALLY wide and unique) but waited for the 3 point to give us a shot. Finally he came out into the open but was facing uphill, directly away from us. It was real thick and he was almost to the top. We thought about waiting for him to turn broadside but thought he could easily top out or get into the thick stuff. Dave told me he could make the shot.

Dave shot and hit the buck square in the middle of the back, dropping the buck! We celebrated and headed over.

It was nice to get out with my brother again. This is his 3rd coues buck in his last 3 yrs since he moved from California. He's become a dang good coues deer hunter considering the little experience. And thanks for the cape, brother!

post-500-1262276042_thumb.jpg

post-500-1262276080_thumb.jpg