Sign in to follow this  
Cowman

Double Cats!

I have been keeping tabs on this forum for awhile and have been in awe at the number of cats killed, especially by Josh. Quite impressive to say the least.

Here's a little story to remind all the electronic callers out there whats it's like to bring them in the old fashioned way, Open Reed Mouth Calls! Nothing like having a critter coming in, for you!

Exactly a year ago, on the last day of my dad's December Coues tag, I glassed up a lion at daylight. He went over a ridge and we lost him so we moved in closer and set-up to glass. After an hour, I set-up to call him in. Keep in mind, my dad had a deer tag, I was only armed with my tripod and Duovid's. I set-up in a rocky bluff and went to making music with my favorite open reed mouth call. Long story short, at the 15 minute mark I looked to my left and had that &*@$% lion staring at me broadside at exactly 2 steps; 6 feet from my puckered cheek prints to his front paw prints. While I was unarmed, I guarantee you I would not have had the composure to touch off the trigger of any gun even if it was already pointing at that cat. He was in my bubble and I was terrified. Luckily, after a few seconds of pure fear, the lion blew out of there and I needed a fresh pair of drawers. My dad ended up connecting with that cat at 200 yards running but he wasn't hit good. After an 8 hour trailing by a friend of a friends set of hounds, that darn lion got away.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I hadn't been out calling since that lion. Frankly, I wasn't sure I wanted too. But my good buddy and calling partner Travis (CumminsRig) has a special way of getting you back in the game. We headed out Sunday morning to some new country we had hunted before. At daylight we found ourselves in a classic set-up and on our first stand as the sun was cracking. Travis is over the hill looking southeast and on the call; I'm looking downwind and northwest. After 5 minutes of the sweetest injured critter wailing music you've ever heard, I see a stationary white speck on a ridge 220 yards out. Quick look through the binos and I have a bobcat staring our way. I immediately get into the gun and he is on the move coming to us. Afraid I will lose him in the bottom, I dumped him at 185 yards with my .22-250. One cat down!

Travis, not knowing what I shot at, wisely lays back into the call and we are game on for the next critter. 5 more minutes pass and I hear the sweet "boom...whop!" from Travis's .22-250. He let's out a "whoop" and says "We got a cat!" I answer, "Nope, we got 2 cats!"

Travis dumped his at 205 yards staring at him on a ridge. That's right folks, it's the 1st stand and we have 2 Large Tom Bobcats within 300 yards of each other. After an 1.5 hours of celebrating and pats on the back we get back to business.

A few more stands later and we connected with a running coyote at 75 yards. Next stand and we smoked a fox at 210 yards. We ended the day firing a total of 4 rounds and connecting with 2 bobcats, 1 coyote, and a fox!

Heck of a start to the New Year!

So Cheers to all the electronic callers out there. There's just something extra sweet about an Open Reed Mouth Call and making your own critter music!

Happy New Year!

post-2258-1262744151_thumb.jpg

post-2258-1262744188_thumb.jpg

These were 2 of the bigger cats we have ever called in. I am 6 foot and Travis is no dink either.

post-2258-1262744226_thumb.jpg

Wow very impressive cowman! And the story about the lion next to you is thrilling for sure! I personally also use a hand call but you know why?? cause I cant afford one of those electronic calls :P but yes I will like to use know and yes, I know what you mean. Called 4 coyotes last week in one stand with a jackrabbit in distress hand call.

Ernesto C

Congrats to both of you, Pal!! Those cats look even better in the big pics! Tell Trav the ol' "Fix Or Repair Daily" is running strong! :P Happy New Year to you all on the, Farm! Congrats again on the Double!!

A double on coyote is a dang good thing, but a double on cats that is pretty unique, congrats on a great day of calling.

Question on the open reed calling vs. electronic (don't own one yet!$$$$$) When you guys are calling those cats in, do you stay pretty continuous or do you have pauses and breaks in your series?

We used to pattern after the old Johnny Stewart tapes but I swear, I have either lost my touch or just lost that art all together, frustrated..........

Congrats on some great varminting...........and thanks for sharing the pics

Well done and great shooting. I am a firm beliver that if you find a cat in an area there will be plenty more around there. Some guys think bobcats have such large territories but if a cat finds a good area with cover and food they will stay in that general are.That is some interesting looking country.

Stay after them, Josh

Awesome job on the cats! I too had shot a lion not long ago and later trailed it with dogs only to come up empty handed, sucks for sure! Great job again, JIM>

Thats a dam good day! Reminds me of the day I called in two lions on one stand, and the day we killed two lions spot and stalk.

A double on coyote is a dang good thing, but a double on cats that is pretty unique, congrats on a great day of calling.

Question on the open reed calling vs. electronic (don't own one yet!$$$$$) When you guys are calling those cats in, do you stay pretty continuous or do you have pauses and breaks in your series?

We used to pattern after the old Johnny Stewart tapes but I swear, I have either lost my touch or just lost that art all together, frustrated..........

Congrats on some great varminting...........and thanks for sharing the pics

Whenever I'm calling I always have breaks in my series. I rarely stay on the call for more than a minute I'm guessing never timed myself but I would say call for a minute give or take and off for a couple give or take. If something seems to not be working try different things. I think being different than everyone else is a big key. Just my opinion.