Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Ultinate Steel broadheads?

Has anyone used the Ultimate Steel broadheads? I'm looking for a 100gr. broadhead that flies like a filed tip. I appreciate any comments. thanks.

It takes a well tuned setup (all parts, bow, arrows, etc.) and a good shooting form to make just about any fixed blade BH fly like a field tip. I have had good luck with G5 montecs for fixed blade. They are a one piece BH and are really strong and balanced very well. I havent had any problems with them. Mechanical BH's have come a long way, there are a bunch out right now that will work and fly well, you just have to have enough KE to use them and not worry. I personally like vortex 3 blade 100 grain BH's. I dont even worry about them because my KE is about 75 pounds. I do however carry 1 fixed blade with me in case I am shooting through light cover, a fixed blade has less of a chance at hanging up and wounding the animal.

There are also the short BH's, I havent used them, but I have heard good things about them.

GMM

awesome B/H and in my opinion they do and did perform like field tips. even w/o being tuned inline w/ the fletching, right on! 100 gr. on 300 gr. arrow outa my mathews lagacy 70# of pull. hope this helps and good luck!! -mike-

have u tried the sniper broad heads they are mecanical and provin to shoot most like a feild tip well they are even shaped liek on 1 5/8'' cutting diamiter they work very well for me and you get a lot more pass threws with them from my expericence. but thats only my 2 cents so good luck

i shoot a reflex 63lb pull with easton carbon arrows with 100 grain broad head works well for me.

I used the slick trick 100 hundreds last year. They flew exactly like my field tips with no tuning. I killed a deer and an antelope with them last year. I had good penetration on both animals. They are four bladed and left good blood trails. My only complaint is the head that I shot the antelope with broke at the base of the ferrule. I didn't pass through the animal or hit any major bone so I am not sure what caused it. I still had good blood and it did its job.

I have gone back to Thunderhead 100's, little tuning and they fly great.

I use Thunderhead 85's and they shoot very well. I went to them when buddy had good luck with them and the 75's on ELK! They seem to shoot better than the 100's and on a 90# deer, who needs more penetration!

For deer, I would not see a problem using expendables. The NAP Spitfires fly to the same point of impact as my field tips. I tried the Shuttle T-Locks I mentioned in another post, and they flew like field points at 30 and 40 yards :blink: . Then I screwed on a Thunderhead and hit about 4" off at 30 yards.

RR

I tried the ultimate steels and had them plane several inches (35 yds+) with a paper tuned bow and the shooter functioning properly. I went back to the 100 gr steelheads and I'm having good luck with those. Bronco