Sign in to follow this  
Silver Bullet

The term "horns" drives me nuts

Is anyone else getting tired of professional hunters using the term "horns" on a deer. I'm sitting here watching a channel called Whitetail Revolution (great footage) and they keep refering to a Texas whitetail's ANTLERS as "horns". These are professionals......don't they know the difference?????

I wouldnt take the term "horns" too literal . I catch myself saying that quite often and imo I consider it a "slang" term for antlers !!!

there are a buncha things on them huntin' shows that bug me, but that ain't one of em. as far as i'm concerned that's one of the smartest things they do. every show, and i mean every one of em, has gotten so dang phoney and commercialized that i can't watch em. every one of em is a 30 minute infomercial. if them jokers are pros, then i never wanna be a pro. if pro means you have to reinact every crap thing you do, crawling into the camera and all that stuff, sell out to anybody that will sponsor you, shoot stuff high fenced, over bait, tame, from a fancy weather proof blind, pay some guide to haul your butt around, etc, etc, then i'll stay a rank amatuer. i still watch shockey to some extent and roger ragland, because they have passion and enthusiasm beyond the money. and shockey goes to some incredible lengths to hunt stuff that nobody else has the nuts to go after, but they are still real commercial. and i like hal. but i can't stand any of these other phonys. they make me wanna puke. act like rock stars. callin' antlers horns is nothin' compared to the rest of the pure $h!t that goes into these shows. it's time for my medication now. Lark.

there are a buncha things on them huntin' shows that bug me, but that ain't one of em. as far as i'm concerned that's one of the smartest things they do. every show, and i mean every one of em, has gotten so dang phoney and commercialized that i can't watch em. every one of em is a 30 minute infomercial. if them jokers are pros, then i never wanna be a pro. if pro means you have to reinact every crap thing you do, crawling into the camera and all that stuff, sell out to anybody that will sponsor you, shoot stuff high fenced, over bait, tame, from a fancy weather proof blind, pay some guide to haul your butt around, etc, etc, then i'll stay a rank amatuer. i still watch shockey to some extent and roger ragland, because they have passion and enthusiasm beyond the money. and shockey goes to some incredible lengths to hunt stuff that nobody else has the nuts to go after, but they are still real commercial. and i like hal. but i can't stand any of these other phonys. they make me wanna puke. act like rock stars. callin' antlers horns is nothin' compared to the rest of the pure $h!t that goes into these shows. it's time for my medication now. Lark.

I think a lot of those guys are obligated to their sponsors to an extent and have to play the part . The term "professional" bothers me more than anything . I have guided in AZ/NM for the past 18 years and by the numbers I should be considered a professional right ??? I would in NO way every consider myself a professional by any means . I learn something new every time I set foot in the woods and I rarely voice my opinion because I don't consider myself a leading authority on hunting in general . I know enough to get the job done and that's about it . As far as the cameras , I have had the opportunity to be in several camps where film crews are and it is 99.9% re-enactment . Why do you think the camera man is always filming while your walking up to your kill ? He dang sure wouldn't be doing that if there was any chance the animal was still alive !!!

Calling Antlers "horns" "Bone", "Rack" or whatever else is equivelent to someone calling a person's posterior things like Butt, Tush, Duff, Trunk, Arse, so on so on.

There are a lot of things that get me with these shows most recently was a show with Jim Shockey showing his outtakes which are intended to be funny and you see one of his guides helpers is dancing spinning around with a rifle swinging it around with absolutely no muzzle control. While it may or may not have been loaded or safe it was the wrong thing to show on TV unless you were using it to show young hunters what not to do.

I wouldnt get to hung up on slang. it is just the quick easy and exiting thing to call those Head Daggers

I wonder if it bothers Bill Quimby? :) surely he will have something to say about this :)

Amanda

You beat me to it Amanda... I was thinking the exact same thing.

Does calling a javelina a pig, a pronghorn an antelope, or a bison a buffalo fall into this same catagory? I think a lot of times in hunting or life we use slang terms even though they may be improper or just flat out wrong. It's just the way we choose to use the english language.

Another thing I always find funny is when friends know you went out hunting and when you come back they always ask "Did you catch anything?", I always find it funny ;)

Horns vs Antlers? Not nearly as bothersome as stock vs stalk, and asked vs axed.

HAHA! Thank you, Doug!

I wonder if it bothers Bill Quimby? :) surely he will have something to say about this :)

Amanda

Yes, Amanda. Since you asked, it does -- but not as much as saying "taxi" for taxidermist, "whitey" for whitetail, "spotter" for spotting scope, "muzzy" for muzzleloader, and all the other cutesy and infantile contractions that some fully grown and otherwise intelligent men and women believe are acceptable, even desirable, to use.

I also have trouble keeping my blood pressure at safe levels when I see otherwise literate people adding an apostrophe s to make a singular word plural, or writing "there" when they mean "their" or "they're," or "your" when they mean "you're." Most of us learned by eighth grade that we should use "who" when speaking about people and "that" when speaking about things, and that there is a difference between "it's" and "its," and "that" and "which," and on and on.

However, I promised in another thread to bite my tongue and ignore such things when they appear on this forum, and so I will. :)

Bill Quimby