COtracker

My First Coues Deer

My family has been applying for a New Mexico Coues deer tag for a long time. This has only been my second year and I was blessed to draw a New Mexico Coues tag.

On Day 1, we woke up at about 4:30am, met with our friend Mr. Jeff and went hunting. The three of us 4 wheeled back in for quite a distance and parked the Jeep. We headed up a mountain trail and when we got to the top and could see clearly, started glassing. Mr. Jeff has a neat setup to glass with, a bipod, attached to his belt, with his fancy binos mounted on top. He could glass like that all day and cover every inch of the terrain. My dad and I tried to stay in the shady areas and glass as well. After a while Mr. Jeff spotted some deer and yes, they were Coues. Wow, what a sight and amazing how well they blended in with their surroundings. We saw quite a few does and one spike. Following that, we then went to another area and spotted a buck right at dusk. We got way off the road and looked for about 10 minutes. The buck got away… God just didn’t want me to have that buck. We called the hunting done for the day and headed back to camp.

On Day 2, Dad and I woke up at about 4:30am, got ready, ate a quick breakfast, and then headed out to hunt. We saw a legal buck cross the road but it was too dark to shoot. Today Mr. Jeff would not be with us. Dad and I tried a river bottom. Down there, we saw about 15 does but no bucks. Following that, we hiked that same river bottom for about two hours. Finding a spot, we watched for a while but saw nothing. Trying then a spot Mr. Jeff told us about, we then called it the end of day two after seeing nothing.

On the last day and day number 3, we woke up at 5:00am. We sited in my gun because I had slipped and hit it lightly the day before. After that, Mr. Jeff arrived to help us. We hunted for about one hour when we spotted a legal buck. As we approached the deer. I prayed that God would give me this buck. We then reached where it was. Then Mr. Jeff saw one buck my dad and I saw another as I took aim the buck turned and I squeezed. I hit the buck in the stomach but however because of the angle it went through his shoulder, destroying most of his inner organs. As I approached the buck I didn’t see it at first. I then looked down and saw it.. a 6x4!! We then prayed and thanked God for His blessings!

What did I learned on this trip? I learned that whenever you are hunting Coues, they look like little mice at 300 yards. At six hundred yards, you can’t see them unless you have high power binos. They don’t move if they know you are there. They just stand still and don’t move.

Thank you for reading my story and sharing the adventure.

More Later,

COTracker

post-3197-1265152218_thumb.jpg

post-3197-1265152290_thumb.jpg

post-3197-1265152699_thumb.jpg

post-3197-1265152879_thumb.jpg

Edited by COtracker

Great story - got any pictures? Thanks for sharing it with us and a HUGE congrats on your first coues!

That's a really nice buck you shot and it sounds like Mr.Jeff is a good guy to have on a hunt. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story. Congratulations on your first coues. :)

TJ

Great job bro!! I am really really proud of you! I couldn't ask for a better brother.. you're a joy to have in our home! Keep up the fantastic work....

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will enjoy it and learn alot about these little coues deer. Much smaller than the deer in your neck of the woods. :)

TJ

Hey COTracker.....

It was my pleasure to show you guys around. You and your dad are top notch! Congrats again on a wonderful Coues, especially for your first!

jeff

Great job CoTracker on your first Coues buck! You better be careful or you'll get hooked on these little deer, they are very addictive! Congratulations to you also Jeff for your excellent guiding.

Hey Scott thanks for your reply.....I think they already are addicted! ;) Like he said, they have been trying for a while to catch a Coues tag down here and drove a LONG way to get here for their 3 day hunt. I didn't do much but show em what to look for. They are very quick learners and he failed to mention that his dad spotted this particular buck that morning....not me B) We really were blessed that day that things worked out like they did!

That split eye gaurd is very unique.

jeff