Coues Sniper

I really really like Mexico...

Just got back from another great trip to good 'ol Mexico. The trip started off pretty frustrating with 2 days of solid rain. We were excited before the hunt thinking the deer would be concentrated around water, but the several inches of rainfall ruined that prospect. Days 3 and 4 produced some decent numbers of deer, but nothing too exciting. I did see a big 2x3 that I thought was really close to 110, but I decided to pass and my cousin saw a buck that had some great palmation, but he wasn’t able to close the deal. The afternoon of day 5 I decided to try something different. I had seen a real heavy 3x3 rutting some does pretty hard right off the road on a part of the ranch that very little topography. It was fairly open, but flat as a pancake. My mom had gotten me a "Pack Rack" rattle for Christmas and I decided to try it out and see if there was still any rut going on over there. As soon as I got there I jumped a young 2 point that was spindly but tall and had great potential. I was able to get a decent pic of him after he jumped a fence.

IMG_0936.jpg

I walked until I found a good looking spot, and sat down underneath a big mesquite tree to start rattling. I had never tried this before, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I hit those horns for about 2 minutes, and that young 2 point from earlier came flying in, ran about 30 yards in front of me, locked them up, and looked around. He actually was skidding when came to a stop! He stood there for about 20 seconds trying to figure out where the fight was and then took off again out of sight. "That was pretty cool", I thought to myself. I waited about 5 minutes and tried again. That same 2 point came running back into view (at about 80 yards this time) and ran back the way he originally came from. This stuff might actually work! I rattled a third time and nothing happened. I decided to move and try a bit farther into the flat. I went another 300 yards or so, and sat down to try again. I hit them for about a minute and had a doe get up at about 100 yards (that was about as far as I could see). Right after she got up, a 90" type 3 point got up and started following her. I hit the rattle again, just to see what the buck would do more than anything, and then noticed another deer off to my right come into view. He started marking/raking a tree when I put the 10's on him. First thing I saw was the drop, then I caught a look at the mass, and I about fell over. As I got the rifle on him he started walking quickly to the right, and before long would be out of sight. I mouth grunted a couple times trying to get him to stop, but he either didn't hear me or didn't care so I waited until he stepped clear of some brush and popped him. He went about 20 yards and laid down for good. I kinda sat there in disbelief at what just happened: from the time I saw him till the time I shot was about 15 seconds at the most, and I still wasn't quite sure what I had just killed. I was all smiles though when I lifted his head out of the grass. What a sweet buck - super mass, great beams (18 and 17 ½), good points, only 11" wide, a 5" drop, and character out the ying yang. His right beam comes off his head at a weird angle and has a big crook in it, while his left comes out and goes high. His G 3’s are about 4" from touching and his main beams are about 6" apart vertically at the ends. And he was older than dirt. Talk about right in my wheelhouse. I taped him at 115 and 3/8. I struggled to take a picture that really does him justice.

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

Bottom jaw on my deer. I'd guess him about 10 1/2

IMG_0979.jpg

The last afternoon my cousin connected on a real pretty deer that was chasing a doe. He’s 15” inside with 18”+ beams and nice mass - just real good everywhere. He taped him at 113 and 3.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

I got to take the bow out for an afternoon - Even the jacks are big in Mexico ;)

IMG_0981.jpg

There was a thread recently about what your "Dream Trip" would be - I think mine would always be a Coues hunt in Mexico ;). Hope you enjoyed the pics.

IMG_0977.jpg

Outstanding buck ,Kevin... loks like a No Brainer!! ...and the buck your cuz killed is a Dandy as well... but looks like a very young deer! Amazing genetics. Contrats to you both!

Sniper,

I wouldn't worry about the photos doing that buck justice. That buck is SICK! You are whacking and stacking some monsters. Big congrats to you and your cousin for some Sweet deer. Sounds like our hunt was ending with the storm as your's was starting. We literally couldn't hunt for 2 days towards the end of the hunt. The wind was the worst part as I don't mind the rain without wind.

Outstanding buck ,Kevin... loks like a No Brainer!! ...and the buck your cuz killed is a Dandy as well... but looks like a very young deer! Amazing genetics. Contrats to you both!

Thanks Gino! I thought Adam's deer was a baby too when I first saw it (I mentioned something about that jack I killed being about the same size ;)), but his teeth were pretty worn. He wasn't an old deer by any means, but he was older than I thought. Just a midget I guess!

Sniper,

I wouldn't worry about the photos doing that buck justice. That buck is SICK! You are whacking and stacking some monsters. Big congrats to you and your cousin for some Sweet deer. Sounds like our hunt was ending with the storm as your's was starting. We literally couldn't hunt for 2 days towards the end of the hunt. The wind was the worst part as I don't mind the rain without wind.

Thanks ;). The weather was definitely a bitter sweet deal. It was bad timing, but we needed it too. I just hope it keeps it up all spring.

Awesome, awesome buck Kevin! Man you are my hero for whacking those Mexico Monsters. Congrats on another great buck! Your cuz's buck is a stud as well. Great pictures too.

WOW!!! Some Hummdinger bucks for sure!! How sweet to be getting one of the first bucks sheds too!

Awesome, thanks for posting!