Sign in to follow this  
Jeremyks

Jim White vs Outdoorsman

well i'll throw in my 2cents. I personally have the Outdoorsmans pan head but I looked at the JW head several times too. They both are of the highest quality machining. If I remember right the JW might be a few ounces lighter but the deciding point for me was the pan handle. the JW is a twist handle that controls the tilt vs. the OD has the Bogen mindset with screws for pan and tilt pressure lock and the pan handle is just that a handle. It was just what I prefer. Either way you will have the best of the best. After all the Outdoorsmans carries both models and that has to say something, because they only support the best in the industry. Nothing on the market comes close to either on of these guys and using one makes glassing so much better its unbelievable. Hope that helps. good luck.

-sam

I ahve had my Jim White head on my SLIK 444 Sport II for a number of years... and I love it! Small, strong, easy to pack and use. The best I have ever used bar none! Not the cheapest, but buy once - cry once! D.D.

I like the Jim White quite a bit. The only down side is if glassing straigh down, or down at a steep angle the handle hits the tripod which makes it rough. Not too bad to get around with adjustments to the tripod.

Try both and see which you personally like better. I use the Jim White head and love the small size and lightweight as well as high quality workmanship. The new outdoorsmans pan head is very nice though!!

Amanda

depends on how much its worth to you. If i had the money to spare Id have an outdoorsmans. The JW is a great head, im no good w/ one but im used to pan heads. If you are ever going to use it for a spotter get something w/ a pan head.

Tough question! I have both and love both so I doubt I am helping you to make a decision. I do like the Outdoorsman adapter plate system better so i put one of their quick release adapters on top of the Jim White head so I never have to worry about what adapter plates i have on my spotting scope or bino adapter. (wow i used the word "adapter" four times in one sentence and it still makes sense!)