Sign in to follow this  
gauchoand

Have you noticed?

Many who know me know that I am an avid hater of the idea of Global Warming. Why I do believe in natural variations in climate I have to ask myself: In the 5 billion year existence of the earth, what makes the temperatures over the last 100 years the right ones? If a meteorologist has trouble forcasting the temperature tomorrow what makes them think they can predict what will happen in 20 years?

NOW MY REAL TOPIC: Recently I have noticed in the news a change in the old paradigm of Global Warming. It appears to have recieved a "facelift" designed to help silence skeptics like me. Global warming is now CLIMATE CHANGE. I can't help but marval at the new name "A wolf in sheeps clothing" a more fitting design. Climate change is harder to refute then Global Warming because I can't help but notice the blizzards (climate change not global warming). While major news outlets still use the antiquated term scientist and politicians prefer the new broader term. I guess I will no longer be able to argue with these people cause the climate is changing. (from winter to spring)

Have you noticed that?

Call it Global Warming, Climate Change or what ever, things run in cycles (peaks & valleys-highs & lows). My question is, how do you know when you are "out of the norm" and not just moving from one end of the spectrum to the other? Tucson news announced a week or two ago that Jan 2010 was the wettest Jan since 1946. Ok, good for us, but is that climate change, an anomaly, or are we starting to swing back to a wetter period?

It's just a nicer way to say it!! :D

Kind of like "illegal alien" changed to "illegal immigrant" changed to "undocumented worker".

What's next, "undocumented citizen" ? Or maybe just "citizen who just can't speak English"??

it's just the weather. it changes. it always does. i like it when they talk about whether or not Az. is in a drought. look around moron, it's a stinkin' desert, it's always a drought here. we have the dry season and the really dry season. and sometimes it gets extra dry. whenever poiticians get involved in anything, it's about money. taking yours and giving it to somebody else. Lark.

Many who know me know that I am an avid hater of the idea of Global Warming. Why I do believe in natural variations in climate I have to ask myself: In the 5 billion year existence of the earth, what makes the temperatures over the last 100 years the right ones? If a meteorologist has trouble forcasting the temperature tomorrow what makes them think they can predict what will happen in 20 years?

NOW MY REAL TOPIC: Recently I have noticed in the news a change in the old paradigm of Global Warming. It appears to have recieved a "facelift" designed to help silence skeptics like me. Global warming is now CLIMATE CHANGE. I can't help but marval at the new name "A wolf in sheeps clothing" a more fitting design. Climate change is harder to refute then Global Warming because I can't help but notice the blizzards (climate change not global warming). While major news outlets still use the antiquated term scientist and politicians prefer the new broader term. I guess I will no longer be able to argue with these people cause the climate is changing. (from winter to spring)

Have you noticed that?

Your right they have change what they are calling it and I must say that I like the new "name". Its obvious to me that the climate is changing but I agree with you that "change" is part of the earths normal cycle. what most of the scientist are saying though is that the change that is occurring now is VERY rapid which is a little scary. It’s hard to believe that we as a human race don't have any impact on what would normally go on with earths cycles but what organisms don't influence the environment in which they live. If I may be so personal I believe that God gave us this earth to live on and it is ours to use but we must also be good stewards. I must also say that I am getting tired of hearing about all the doomsday prophecies if we don't clean up our act. Just my $.2

Yeah ..... The Gores of the world have really grown this whole Niche of global warming into a multi-billion tax dollar slot machine that pays out on every pull .... I guess the premise that the earth has been warming and glaciers have been melting since the last ice age is so easy it is hard to understand..... The idea that some things are out of our control when it comes to this planet can not be swallowed by the green movers..... or wait with lots of tax payers $$$$$$$$ they can bottle it up and sell it in many different forms .... When cooling is about to hit its apex in the next decade any bets on what the next color to replace green is ..... the orange movement where someone can get 100's of billions to try to control sun spots and solar flares ?????

Science vs Opinion. Within the topic of Global Warming/Climate Change, both are prevalent. Scientists study changes in the environment. Many environmental changes are affected by humans. I think man's presence on Earth has greatly affected many of the changes we see going on in the world. One's opinion on whether these changes are good, bad, or indifferent are just that - -one's opinions.

However, it is hard to argue scientific research. Glaciers have gotten smaller, the amount of ice in the Arctic Circle is shrinking, ground water and rivers have diminished drastically, and temperatures have risen. All of this has happened since the industrial revolution. Let's not even talk about how much desert/forest has been destroyed for development. Yes this could be a cycle, but why continue doing things that have proven to damage the environment - which includes you, me and the land we love to hunt on and explore.

Science is based on observations, data collection and conclusions.

Opinions are based on ?????????

Science vs Opinion. Within the topic of Global Warming/Climate Change, both are prevalent. Scientists study changes in the environment. Many environmental changes are affected by humans. I think man's presence on Earth has greatly affected many of the changes we see going on in the world. One's opinion on whether these changes are good, bad, or indifferent are just that - -one's opinions.

However, it is hard to argue scientific research. Glaciers have gotten smaller, the amount of ice in the Arctic Circle is shrinking, ground water and rivers have diminished drastically, and temperatures have risen. All of this has happened since the industrial revolution. Let's not even talk about how much desert/forest has been destroyed for development. Yes this could be a cycle, but why continue doing things that have proven to damage the environment - which includes you, me and the land we love to hunt on and explore.

The glaciers have been shrinking since the last ice age this land we live in is the product of melted glaciers and there is just as much scientific data showing that world wide we are on a cooling trend .... the science can be manipulated to try to support ones opinion and MAN is just VAIN enough to think that He can have control over the natural processes that have been going since the beginning of time ..... It does not matter what we do... things in mother nature are going to happen and this planet will far outlive our Human race .... We should take care of this planet in the way we would our own homes so we do not live in a wasteland that litters the natural beauty all around us ... but the propaganda of the Green Movement is about $$$$$$$$$ not Saving this earth ..... I am not against doing the right things for the right reasons but until we stop importing 70 percent of consumer goods from other countries such as China or outlawing plastic man made containers I will not buy into this joke of a movement ..... Like I say ADAPT OR DIE !!!!!! I hope it something comes and thins our masses and the strongest that know how to use the land and take care of what mother nature has to offer are here to survive....

What is bad is one takes scientific observations and factual data and uses only a very minor portion of it to try to make their opinion look as true. Is it good to reduce carbon footprint absolutely.. but "Global Warming" as it has been presented by the do gooder Gore and his cronies. give me a break.

Fact: Earth has been here millions of years and will be hear for millions more... I hope ;)

lassenA.jpg

Black line is earth temp

Red line is solar activity

Ever stop to think the sun may have a bit to do with your glaciers melting Sammy? BTW, they've been melting for 20,000 years, with or without SUVs

Oh ! and one other point .... With all our technology and science behind us .... Scientists and meteorologist can not even get a 10 day forecast rite ..... Looks like the science and technology can always seem to be trumped by Mother Nature...

lassenA.jpg

Black line is earth temp

Red line is solar activity

Ever stop to think the sun may have a bit to do with your glaciers melting Sammy? BTW, they've been melting for 20,000 years, with or without SUVs

There is no doubt that the sun has everything to do with glaciers melting. Why is it suddenly an issue? Because more of the sun's heat is has been trapped closer to the earth's surface because of the burning of fossil fuels. Yes, this is a fact!!! There is no manipulation of data on this one. Believe it or not - this has had an impact. In addition, the snow melt has not been replaced by new snow fall - that is why we are in a drought all over the world. Our water and snow is used up quicker than it is being replaced.

And yes the glaciers have been melting without our SUV's. However, if there is a way to lesson the amount of pollution that we are dumping into our atmosphere, ground and water ways, then why not try to improve????

Mother nature is tough - but, how much can she take.

I sure the heck would not sit in my garage with my truck running......so, why not try to reduce the number of pollutants going into the environment.

One final thought on this subject, then I'm done (I learned long ago, it is very hard to come to common ground when talking about politics or the environment and this could go on for a very long time)........

Maybe Global Warming has been blown out of proportion on purpose, to wake up all these people who thought that the Earth was a dumping ground for all of their waste. Anyway you look at it, there have been stricter environemntal regulations enacted, which have improved our environment.

The glaciers have been shrinking since the last ice age this land we live in is the product of melted glaciers and there is just as much scientific data showing that world wide we are on a cooling trend .... the science can be manipulated to try to support ones opinion and MAN is just VAIN enough to think that He can have control over the natural processes that have been going since the beginning of time ..... It does not matter what we do... things in mother nature are going to happen and this planet will far outlive our Human race .... We should take care of this planet in the way we would our own homes so we do not live in a wasteland that litters the natural beauty all around us ... but the propaganda of the Green Movement is about $$$$$$$$$ not Saving this earth ..... I am not against doing the right things for the right reasons but until we stop importing 70 percent of consumer goods from other countries such as China or outlawing plastic man made containers I will not buy into this joke of a movement ..... Like I say ADAPT OR DIE !!!!!! I hope it something comes and thins our masses and the strongest that know how to use the land and take care of what mother nature has to offer are here to survive....

You are correct - things in mother nature will happen without man's influence. But, there is no way anyone can deny the negative affect man has had on nature. The Green Movement was started over 40 years ago to shed some light on these issues - not raise money for their own agenda. I admit that some organizations have gotten out of control - but, neither you nor I have to support them.

The bottom line is - awareness had to be raised. There are so many Americans who don't give a crap about nature and this was the reason for the Green Movement.

BTW, lowering our use of plastic is one way to lower our reliance on other countries - less plastic means we need less oil to make the plastic........and yes, glaciers have been melting for years, but like I respoded to AC Guy, things are a little different now then they were 200 years ago.

And yes the glaciers have been melting without our SUV's. However, if there is a way to lesson the amount of pollution that we are dumping into our atmosphere, ground and water ways, then why not try to improve????

Who doesn't want to improve the environment? I'd be willing to estimate that 99.9999% of us on this and other outdoor websites are all for a clean environment. We just have a huge problem with the scare tactics, and the use of the myth of man made global warming as a way to further regulate our lives, and redistribute the wealth of this and other countries to countries who can't get their act together. It's all a big crock of hooey.